J.S.Matthew profile image 85

How do you keep your Garden Grown Melons from Rotting, Getting Bug Infested and from Disease?

I live in Massachusetts and our growing season is relatively short as far as outdoor gardening goes. I Planted some melons this year and 97% of them were bug infested, rotted, and some got a white growth on the outside (either a disease and or fungus.) Most of the fruits did not even reach maturity. Any suggestions on how to prevent this next year? Please only reply if you have previous or professional experience. Thank you!

liesl5858 profile image81

Linda Bryen (liesl5858) says

• lisavollrath profile image

Lisa Vollrath (lisavollrath) 2 years ago

+1 for straw. That's what folks around here use to keep their melons from laying in the dirt.

lisavollrath profile image89

Lisa Vollrath (lisavollrath) says

• J.S.Matthew profile image

JS Matthew (J.S.Matthew) 2 years ago

Thank you lisavollrath. I suppose it was mildew and it did effect almost all of the fruits. They were planted in a low spot and water did sit for periods of time. I'll have to look to find some companion plants to keep out the bugs thank you!

Seafarer Mama profile image86

Karen Szklany Gault (Seafarer Mama) says

• J.S.Matthew profile image

JS Matthew (J.S.Matthew) 23 months ago

Thank you Seafarer Mama. Companion plants are another good idea. I am looking forward to next growing season! JS~