Latticed Apple Pie
This recipe calls for 275 grams of shortcrust pastry to allow for the extra pastry needed to make the lattice decoration. The amount of sugar given here is merely a guide, so increase it if you find the filling too sharp for your taste. The fruit filling is pre-cooked for only half the usual time because undergoes further cooking in the tart.
Apple Pie Ingredients
To serve 6 people you will need:
- 275 grams of shortcrust pastry
- 1 kg of cooking apples
- 1 lemon
- 50 to 75 grams of butter
- 100 grams of soft brown sugar
Apple Pie Directions
- Heat the oven to 180°C.
- Peel, core and slice the apples. Then pare a 4 cm strip of zest from the lemon.
- Put the apples, strip of lemon zest and butter into a heavy-based casserole together with the brown sugar.
- Cover and cook in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until the apples are tender. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Increase the oven temperature to 200°C (gas mark 6).
- Cut off one-third of the pastry and set aside. Use the remaining two-thirds to line a 25 cm pie plate. Set the lined dish aside.
- Shape the reserved piece of pastry into a rectangle and roll out until about 27 x 20 cm.
- Cut the rectangle lengthways into 10 strips 2 cm wide to use for the lattice decoration.
- Drain cooled filling. Remove lemon zest. Spread apples evenly over the bottom of the lined dish.
- Damp the edge of the pastry with cold water.
- Place 5 strips of pastry across the filled tart, then arrange the remaining 5 strips of pastry across the first layer.
- Seal the strips of pastry at the edge.
- Bake the pie in the center of the oven for 20 minutes. Serve hot or cold, dredged with icing sugar if liked.
Apple Pie Variations
- Use different spices, such as cinnamon, cloves or mixed spice, to enhance the flavor of the dish.
- Try spreading a layer of mincemeat on the bottom of the lined dish and top this with the apple filling.
- For latticed rhubarb tart substitute rhubarb for the apple and an orange for the lemon. (Lemon would make the filling too acidic.) The butter is not necessary with rhubarb but can be used for extra richness. Wipe the rhubarb clean and chop into 2.5 cm pieces. Then proceed as for the apple recipe and drain the rhubarb very well before using it to fill the tart.
- Gooseberries, cherries and plums can all be used as fillings. Poach them in sugar syrup for half the normal cooking time and drain well before spreading over the bottom of the lined dish.
More by this Author
Scissors and shears are cutting instruments that operate by the action of the opposed edges of two blades. The blades, usually made of steel, are joined by a pivot pin or screw. There are handles at the ends of the...
Beer is an alcoholic beverage usually made from malted barley, corn or rice, and hops. The hops produce the tangy flavor characteristic of many beers. Beers usually contain from 2 to 6 percent alcohol by volume and...
The White House as it appears from the north. Photograph by David Lat. The White House is the official residence of the President of the United States, located in Washington, D.C. It is on Pennsylvania Avenue facing...
No comments yet.