The Best Low Fat Choices At Fast Food Restaurants
We all know we should follow a lower fat diet; most of us should aim for less than 30% of our calories from fat. But, at least as important is the type of fat we eat. Saturated fat and Trans. fats are the fats we want to limit as they have been clearly shown to clog arteries and increase one’s risk of heart disease. So if you are trying to watch your fat intake, (including saturated fat and Trans fat) and are trying to lose weight, you might have thought you could not enjoy another restaurant meal. Not so, you just need to know what to order. I have listed below a number of low fat, low calorie restaurant meals. Because restaurants frequently update their nutrition information, I would recommend checking their website for the latest nutrition facts.
Tips for eating out on a low calorie, low fat diet
· Choose fruits and vegetables for sides whenever possible, they are naturally low in fat and calories.
· Hold the mayo. 1 Tbsp. of mayonnaise adds 100 calories, and 11 grams of fat. Many sandwiches will use over 2 Tbsp. of mayonnaise.
· Opt for grilled chicken (instead of fried) on sandwiches, wraps and salads.
· Steer yourself towards a low calorie, healthy side such as baked potato,
fruit (apple slices), fruit and yogurt parfait, or side salad with low fat
· Avoid any dishes that have the words fried, batter dipped, creamy, cream sauce, scalloped, au gratin, butter sauce, cheesy, or alfredo. These words generally indicate the meal is high in fat.
· Request high fat sauces and salad dressing as a side, and use as little as possible.
· At Mexican restaurants, Go easy on the cheese, sour cream, and fried tortilla chips.
· At pizza restaurants, Choose lower calorie pizza toppings such as: vegetables, pineapple, chicken, Canadian bacon or ham.
The following meals contain less than 30% of calories from total fat, less than 10% of calories from saturated fat, and less than 1 gram of Trans. fat, and less than 500 calories. ( ) = calories
•Ham and Swiss Melt Sandwich (268)
•Chick-Fil-A® Chargrilled Chicken Sandwich, Small Hearty Breast of Chicken Soup (410)
•Chick-Fil-A® Chargrilled Chicken Sandwich, Side Salad, Light Italian Dressing, Large Fruit Cup (425)
•Chick-Fil-A® Chicken Deluxe Sandwich, Medium Fruit Cup (490)
•Blackened Chicken Sandwich, Mashed Potatoes (without gravy) (489)
•Grilled Chicken Breast, Mashed Potatoes (without gravy) (494)
•Grilled Chicken Panini (480)
•Small Fettuccine with Marinara Sauce, Garden Side Salad, Fat Free Italian Dressing (500)
•Small Penne with Marinara, Garden Side Salad, Fat Free Italian Dressing (500)
Jack In The Box
•Chicken Fajita Pita made with Whole Grain, Side Salad, Low Fat Balsamic Dressing, Fruit Cup (475)
•Grilled Chicken Strips, Fruit Cup, Side Salad, Low Fat Balsamic Dressing (355)
Kentucky Fried Chicken
•2 KFC Snackers® with Original Recipe Strip (without Sauce) (460)
•2 KFC Snackers® with Original Recipe Strip, Buffalo Sauce (480)
•KFC Snacker® with Original Recipe Strip without Sauce, Mashed Potatoes with Gravy, House Side Salad, Hidden Valley® The Original Ranch® Fat Free Dressing (400)
•Hamburger, Side Salad, Newman’s Own® Balsamic Vinaigrette, Apple Dippers (without Caramel), Fruit and Yogurt Parfait (without Granola) (475)
•Premium Grilled Chicken Classic Sandwich (without Mayo), Fruit and Yogurt Parfait (without Granola) (500)
•Premium Southwest Salad with Grilled Chicken, Newman’s Own® Creamy Southwest Dressing, Apple Dippers (455)
A side of steamed rice at Panda Express is 9oz and 430 calories. The chow mein is 9 oz and 440 calories. In order to create meals under 500 calories, ask for your rice or chow mein portion to be half or 4.5 oz. The following meals will be calculated with half portion of rice, but chow mein could also be ordered for an additional 5 calories.
2 Entrée Meals
•Mushroom Chicken, Mixed Veggies, Half Portion Steamed Rice (455)
•Broccoli Beef, Mixed Veggies, Half Portion Steamed Rice (475)
•String Bean Chicken Breast, Mixed Vegetables, Half Portion Steamed Rice (495)
• Half Turkey Artichoke on Focaccia (Hot Panini) and Soup- Low-Fat Vegetarian Garden Vegetable (460)
•Half Turkey Artichoke on Focaccia (Hot Panini) and Soup- Low-Fat Chicken Noodle (470)
•Naked 3 Piece Chicken Strips, Corn on the Cob (410)
•Small Honey Bourbon Chicken, Side Salad, Fat Free Balsamic Vinaigrette (450)
•Small Honey Bourbon Chicken, Baked Lays (450)
•Grilled Chicken Wrap (380)
•6” Ham (Black Forest, without Cheese), Baked Lays, Apple Slices (455)
•6” Oven Roasted Chicken Breast, Baked Lays, Apple slices (475)
•6” Roast Beef, Baked Lays, Apple Slices (455)
•Fresco Chicken Burrito Supreme®, Cinnamon Twists (500)
•Fresco Chicken Burrito Supreme®, Mexican Rice (440)
•Fresco Steak Burrito Supreme®, Cinnamon Twists (500)
•Jr. Hamburger, Plain Baked Potato (490)
•Small Chili, Plain Baked Potato (460)
•Ultimate Chicken Grill Sandwich, Side Salad, Light Classic Ranch or Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing (445)
- American Heart Association
- 500calorierestaurantmeals - Home
Healthy dining information specializing in 500 calorie restaurant meal choices.
- MyPyramid.gov - United States Department of Agriculture - Home
No comments yet.