How to make vegan sushi
- 6 pieces of nori (square dried seaweed, can be found in the Asian section of the supermarket for around $2 per package of 10)
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 avocado
- 6 slices of Tofurky (any flavor, we like Italian Deli)
- Bruschetta spread or giardiniera (or any other sauce-type things you like)
- 1-1/2 cups of Botan calrose rice
- Steam rice with 2 cups of water. Can also be done with mixing rice vinegar and mirin into the rice. (4 Tbsp rice vinegar, 3 Tbsp sugar, 2 tsp salt, 2 Tbsp mirin -- heat all on stove until bubbly, mix in with cooked rice.)
- Cut avocado in half, and cut each half into 6 slices. Cut other veggies into long, thin strips. Cut Tofurky into thirds.
- Place nori on a flat surface with the shiny, smooth side down, with the grains going from left to right.
- Spread cooked rice onto nori, leaving about an inch at the sides closest and furthest from you.
- Put filling ingredients on the rice on the side closest to you.
- Roll away from you, keeping good tension and not tearing the nori.
- Cut with serrated knife into 5-6 sushi pieces per roll.
Mango and avocado sushi
Vegan waffles with agave nectar
How to make vegan waffles
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup vanilla soymilk
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1 Tbsp hazlenut oil
- Heat waffle iron.
- Mix all of the above together, leaving it a little bit lumpy.
- Spray waffle iron with cooking oil.
- Pour in a little less than half of the batter.
- Bake for about 3 minutes.
- Repeat. Makes 2.5 waffles.
Vegan sub sandwich
How to make a vegan sub sandwich
- 1 Baguette (4 feet long)
- 1 head of lettuce or bunch of spinach
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 avocados
- 1/2 package Follow Your Heart vegan cheese (cheddar or nacho)
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 green onions
- alfalfa sprouts (or onion sprouts)
- Cut baguette lengthwise, leaving the bread in one piece (like a door hinge).
- Wash veggies, cut into sandwich-sized pieces.
- Put lettuce or spinach in first, then add the other veggies.