BPA Bisphenol A Found In Plastic Is Hazardous To Health
Hormone Disruptors In The Environment
Was this a wise and moral decision by the town of Concord, Mass?See results without voting
New Cause and Effect Research Found
BPA in Cash Register Receipts - Most people do not realize they handle a small quantity of hormone disrupting bisphenol-A every time they make a purchase and get a receipt. Perhaps, less if all transactions become electronic in the future. Meanwhile, we are told not to worry because it is such a small amount. The cashiers who handle these tainted bits of paper may receive a much higher dose over the course of years. We warned about the chemicals in our foods that leach from the packaging, and this we must worry and if possible take action to reduce highly packaged goods.
But, just think about the fact that no one really knows "how much" of this chemical enters the body and may be wreaking havoc with the endocrine system. That's your hormones, folks! That's what keeps you balanced, what determines if you enter a diabetic state or one of hypo or hyperthyroidism. These hormones determine your sexual function and fertility. Therefore, we take lots of chances when all these tiny amount build up over time, slowly, slowly changing who we are.
OCTOBER 2013 | U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) bans BPA-based polycarbonate products for feeding children in baby bottles and children's drinking cups. The decision was not "health-based" but rather because manufacturers had already abandoned production. Now BPS will replace BPA. Is this any better?
- "Compared with when BPA was more widely used, people may now be absorbing 19 times more BPS through their skin, and people who handle thermal cash-register paper in their jobs may be absorbing even more BPS," says a recent U.S. News and World Report piece on BPS, quoting the words of a research scientist at the New York State Department of Health who led a study on BPS. naturalnews.com/BPS.html
- Chemical manufacturers continue to produce harmful chemicals because the current laws – particularly the Toxic Substances Control Act, also known as TSCA – don’t require them to show their chemicals are safe. ANA has long supported reforming TSCA by shifting the burden to chemical makers to demonstrate the safety of their products. Unfortunately, TSCA reform has stalled in Congress. epa.gov/agriculture/lsca.html
Concord Massachusetts bans single use plastic water bottles. Starting January 1, 2013, a business or person caught selling a single-serving, plastic water bottle in Concord, Massachusetts will receive a warning on the first offense, a $25 fine on the second offense, and a $50 fine for any further violations. indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2013/01/14/concord-massachusetts-becomes-first-american-city-ban-plastic-water-bottles-146968
NEWS JULY 2013 | Dental Tribute | PARIS, France: New research from France has suggested that bisphenol A (BPA), a chemical widely used in plastics and dental resins, is a potential causative agent of molar incisor hypomineralisation (MIH). Damage similar to this mineralisation disorder, which occurs selectively in permanent incisors and first molars, was observed in rodent teeth after treatment with BPA.
NEWS MARCH 2013 | Link between Asthma and BPA | Researchers at the Columbia Center for Children's Environmental Health, suggests a possible connection between BPA detected in urine samples of 568 mothers and their children and later problems with breathing.
JUNE | BPA and Tooth Enamel | Ariane Berdal of the Universite Paris-Diderot and Sylvie Babajko, Research Director at Inserm Unit 872 "Centre des Cordeliers" published their study of rats that were exposed to low daily doses of BPA in the American Journal of Pathology.
- "Analysis of these teeth showed numerous characteristics that are common with a tooth enamel pathology known as MIH (Molar Incisor Hypo-mineralisation) that selectively affects first molars and permanent incisors. This enamel pathology is found in roughly 18% of children between the ages of 6 and 8. Children affected by this pathology present with teeth that are hypersensitive to pain and liable to cavities. It is interesting to note that the period during which these teeth are formed (the first years of life) correspond to the period during which humans are most sensitive to bisphenol A."
JUNE | BPA Linked to Obesity in Girls | The rapid increase in female obesity over the past 30 years has many contributing factors. One major factor is BPA, as published in the journal PLOS ONE.
Li and colleagues studied 1,326 school-age children in Shanghai, China, and measured BPA levels in their urine. In girls ages 9 to 12, higher BPA urine levels were associated with a doubled risk of obesity. And as BPA urine levels increased, so did the girls’ obesity risk - measured using their weight in reference to weight distribution in the population.
But strikingly, only girls in this age group were affected, the research showed. Neither girls outside of the 9-12 age range nor boys experienced a risk of being overweight or obese, even with high levels of BPA in their urine.
“Girls seem to be more sensitive to environmental impact, and we don’t know exactly why,” said Li, the lead study author.
Listing of Latest BPA News | Some pro and some con.
Bill Moyers Told Us Before. What Takes Us So Long To Act?
Why I Prefer Glass?
I never felt really secure using metal to store water, except on the occasion of the old-fashioned THERMOS that is glass-lined. There were good reasons to do so. We learn that some aluminum water bottles can actually leach more of the chemical bisphenol-A (BPA) than plastic containers, which is the type of bottle people usually associate with the hormone disrupting substance. Learn more at the link above.
The New York Times Reports
In a study of over 2,000 people, more than 90% had BPA in their urine. Traces have also been found in breast milk, the blood of pregnant women and umbilical cord blood.
"Even before the latest research showing multigeneration effects, studies had linked BPA to breast cancer and diabetes, as well as to hyperactivity, aggression and depression in children."
They don't outright say, "BPA interferes with the way the animals process feel good trust hormones like oxytocin and vasopressin, but only imply this as fact based on animal testing.
Maternal Urinary Bisphenol
A Mother's Recommendation To Pregnant Women | Toxic Chemicals To Avoid by Jamie McConnel. One great link is the How-To guide for detoxing your home in preparation for baby. Included in the guide are some inexpensive, do it yourself recipes to try out with friends!
* * *
Scientific America | Lowered Thyroid Hormones Found in Baby Boys Exposed to Bisphenol A
- Environmental Health Perspectives | Scientists at the University of California, Berkeley published a study showing the connection between hard plastics, canned food liners and some paper receipts in our environment and lowered thyroid hormones in baby boys and fetuses, which may explain impairment of learning abilities and motor skills. Already, we know that girls mature earlier and do better in school than boys in the elementary years. Many parents are told to hold their boys back a year or two before starting school.
A during Pregnancy and Maternal and Neonatal Thyroid Function in the CHAMACOS Study http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/1205092/
Obesity Linked to BPA Bisphosphenol A ~ The Journal of American Medical Association (JAMA) has a study explaining this issue.
- Original Contribution | September 19, 2012 | Urinary Bisphenol A Levels and Childhood Obesity | Finding associations between urinary bisphenol A concentration and body mass outcomes in children, Trasande and coauthors conducted a cross-sectional analysis of 2838 participants aged 6 through 19 years in the 2003-2008 National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys.
- In adults, elevated urinary BPA concentrations are associated with obesity and incident coronary artery disease. BPA exposure is plausibly linked to childhood obesity, but evidence is lacking to date. HuffPost has also written an article about BPA that mentions all the links to body functions that you will find at length written in this Hubpages.
Good News | Concord, Massachusetts Attorney General's office officially banned the sale of single-serving plastic water bottles 1 liter or less starting January 1, 2013.
- Bisphenol-A (BPA) -- the endocrine-disrupting chemical found in some linings of food cans and plastics, which has been linked in animal studies to cancer and fetal development problems now associated with narrowed arteries.
- Scientific Report | Bisphenol A-Mediated Suppression of LPL Gene Expression Inhibits Triglyceride Accumulation during Adipogenic Differentiation of Human Adult Stem Cells
Environmental Health News | Bisphenol A exposure linked to brain tumor diagnosis.
Link | Duan, B, X Hu, H Zhao, J Qin and J Luo. 2012. The relationship between urinary bisphenol A levels and meningioma in Chinese adults. International Journal of Clinical Oncology.
Researchers examined the relationship between BPA exposure and the diagnosis of meningioma. They followed 247 patients with the brain cancer and 258 patients with no history of cancer who were getting medical exams at the Union Hospital in Wuhan, China. Exposure to bisphenol A may be a risk factor for a common type of brain tumor called meningioma, reports a study from China. This is the first study to suggest a link between brain cancer and the chemical, which is widely used in consumer products.
Those with the highest urine BPA levels were about 1.6 times more likely to be diagnosed with meningioma compared to those with lower concentrations.
Our Legislative Branch | Senator Lautenberg (deceased) | nytimes.com/2013/06/04/nyregion/frank-lautenberg-new-jersey-senator.html
“This vote is a major milestone in our effort to fix America’s broken system for regulating toxic chemicals,” said Senator Lautenberg. “Children and families could be in danger from everyday consumer products, and the U.S. Government is virtually powerless to do anything to make sure that the chemicals used in products are safe. For too long, the chemical industry has deceived the public and the government about the safety of their products. They have ripped a page out of the tobacco industry’s playbook. Today we are saying ‘game over’ – it’s time to protect the public health.”
May 2008 Programming Bill Moyers Video Shown Above
Thank you Bill Moyers for exposing this toxic chemical that we are feeding to infants, children and teens in formative developmental years. How we affect the health of our children and the consequences to reproductive health and the potential of this carcinogenic agent Bis-Phenol A found in clear, hard plastics [water bottles, baby bottles, soda can liners] will be discovered decades from now. For the sake of convenience our children have become guinea pigs in a far reaching chemical experiment. Visit the PBS archives to see the complete show and more of Bill Moyers. http://www.pbs.org/moyers
Canada Leads With Ethical Community Caring Decision
WOULD YOU VOTE TO BAN BPA IF YOU HAD THE POWER?
If you were a legislator in your state or country, how would you vote?See results without voting
Here's your chance to vote for or against further BPA production. It's kind of a trick question. When you vote here it simply plants an idea in your head. It sets the ball rolling for consolidating an opinion. Those who abstain will leave the responsibility to the others who vote. When you read this article fully you will find out how the chemical effects everyone and future generations. This chemical will reside in our environment. What are we waiting for? If you skipped it, go back up to vote.
Everything tastes better, stores better and keeps better in glass jars. I love being able to see what's inside the container.
MORE RESEARCH LINKS
Lest we forget or become lax in our rights as individuals to use our pocketbooks to vote. This list provides more resource material to sink your teeth into.
- Mercola informs us about the link between Bisphenol A in our cans and heart disease risk. We can measure the level in our urine output. Now we can definitively do more studies to confirm the link and force manufacturers to stop using this chemical in our food containers. articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/03/15/eating-canned-food-shown-to-be-linked-to-heart-disease.aspx
- BPA as egg disruptors. Testing shows that BPA has been found in more than 90% of Americans. He suggests us to remove thermal printer receipts from your wallet. They may contain BPA chemicals that may be transferred to your hands. articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/10/16/bpa-disrupts-egg-development.aspx
- Wikipedia | As you know volunteers keep the information updated on wikipedia. This mishmash of a page needs more organization. I was searching for the records for which US States have taken action and banned the use of the chemical. Many states have acknowledged that babies and toddlers should not be exposed in their bottles and sippy cups, but what about the rest of us; and why such a small percentage of states have addressed this health issue? Currently 11 states have banned BPA from baby bottles and children's sippy cups. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A
- Food Production daily News | This summary an editorial statement of what I read on this copyrighted page of news. The American Chemistry Council (ACC) told Congress that BPA in any food contact material was safe. They told federal authorities that BPA was no longer used in manufacturing containers. HELLO! They started running scared when California, Canada, the European Union, China and Malaysia all banned its use in baby bottles. foodproductiondaily.com/Packaging/US-chemical-industry-urges-feds-to-ban-bisphenol-A-in-baby-bottles
- They tried to reason to legislators that all these actions and statements confused consumers and made them have to think, become educated and self determined in discerning what products were safe to purchase, rather than simply accepting the status quo and the word of the manufacturers.
- France and Denmark | It amazes me that whole nations have taken action to protect their people, while the United States of America pushes it to a far off future date when perhaps everyone has diabetes, cancer or has lost the ability to speak up. packagingnews.co.uk/sectors/rigid-plastics/france-and-denmark-ban-bisphenol-a-from-babies-bottles/
- Learning More About Bisphenol A | Every time we read that momentum is building, another year passes and a small step has been taken. Minnesota and Connecticut became the first states and Chicago the first city to ban its use in children's products. Will Wisconsin and the rest of the country pay attention and follow suit? If cities and local towns have the ability to ban its sale or production, that means that individuals and groups of people can team up and form coalitions. Do it! homeopathyworldcommunity.com/profiles/blogs/learning-more-about-bisphenol-a
- Exposure Linked To Puberty | Dr A. Michael Warhurst, an Environmental Chemist who works for Friends of the Earth in London, UK put this website together decades ago. He has a degree in Biochemistry, a PhD in the microbial breakdown of styrene and an MSc in Environmental Chemistry lists.essential.org/dioxin-l/
- Endocrine Disruptor Conference akademie-fresenius.com/english/konferenz/output.php?thema=4&kurs=335
- Website Line One | I encourage you to visit "Bisphenol A an introduction to hormone disrupting compounds" to learn the chemical formula, the history, the health concerns, and the relationship to the endocrine system. Find out what issues are at stake, policy responses and how to take action? website.lineone.net/~mwarhurst/bisphenol.html
- The Daily Green | Remember this paper? Learn how to avoid Bisphenol A in your life. They provide a list of items, which helps you to make better decisions when shopping for toys, furniture, tools, things to go in your kitchen and everywhere else. Although they gently say that we suspect the chemical mimics human hormones, we actually confirm that these chemical DO mimic hormones and disrupt proper function. Studies have linked exposure to bisphenol A in lab animals to a number of problems like obesity, early onset puberty, impaired immune function, breast cancer. prostate cancer, birth defects, miscarriages, and insulin resistance leading to Type II diabetes. As an alternative, look for stainless steel bottles that are not lined with a plastic coating. thedailygreen.com/environmental-news/latest/bisphenol-a-47091707
- Low Dose Effects of Bisphenol A | Foods in #7 plastic containers and the majority of canned foods are exposed to this toxic chemical. Even at low doses this bisphenol-A plastic and resin ingredient that lines metal food and drink cans and make plastics can be found in everywhere in our environment.
- Tow Town Environmental Toxic Chemicals | One of the finest pages for learning about Bisphenol A (BPA) and many other environmental chemical toxins. We know this plastic can be found in both lightweight and hard plastics. More than a billion pounds of BPA are produced in the United States every year. At home, you and your family can be exposed to BPA if you use plastic food containers, canned foods, water or baby bottles, plastic dinnerware, reusable cups, and other consumer products that are made with BPA. Learn the signs of toxicity at home, in the workplace or any environment on this page. The best interactive website to learn more. http://www.toxtown.nlm.nih.gov/text_version/chemicals.php?id=69
- Every website states the obvious and introductory facts to define this chemical but goes on to highlight the specific effects upon male hormones and the growth of a type of prostate cancer cells, potentially affecting the treatment efficacy for a subset of prostate cancers. No wonder the rate of prostate cancer has been increasing when we learn that all the materials in our environment composed in some part with this toxic chemical touches us, our soil, our water that we drink and our food. If you or a loved one is sensitive then you may be affected either sooner or later. In the US almost 220,000 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer.
- I would like to applaud and give credit to so many conscientious individuals, chemists, environmentalists and scientists who have provided this information. Paul Goettlich teaches us the alternatives with the page "so you will need to get plastics out of your diet."
Where Can You Find Bisphenol A
The bisphenol A in plastic made from a sex hormone changes the reproductive systems of living organisms, cause brain damage, prostate and breast cancer. This estrogen-like drug is unstable even at very low levels and can alter the way your cells function even at extremely low levels. Check out the research studies with breast cancer cells.
What exactly is bisphenol A?
It was first made in 1891, and was investigated for use as a replacement for estrogen and to promote health pregnancies. Used in the production of epoxy resins and polycarbonate plastics, we find it on store shelves. Look out for the recycling number #7 at the bottom of the bottle.
Do Not Microwave Period.
They recommend not to microwave with saran covering or in plastic containers.
Where Can You Find Bisphenol A?
- Common Metal Coatings Liners of food cans (6 billion pounds a year) and also inside of water pipes.
"Low levels of BPA exposure has been linked to a wide range of adverse health effects, including abnormal development of reproductive organs, behavior problems in children, cardiovascular disease, and metabolic changes that result in altered insulin levels, which leads to diabetes" says Sarah Janssen, senior scientist at the Natural Resources Defense Council. This accounts for 90% of the bisphenol A in our bodies.
- Dental Fillings
- Baby Bottles The hard plastic ones.
- Water Coolers and Bottles
- Tableware and Food Storage Containers
- Medical Devices
- Consumer Items Sunglasses CDs and DVDs Electronic equipment Automobile parts Sports equipment
- Construction Glazing and “Bulletproof Glass” When dealing with breakdown products that can leach out of materials, your best bet is to try to stay clear of items that are worn and old, especially if they have scratches. Also, heating up plastics can increase the likelihood of BPA and other compounds coming out.
Consider this. Purchasing clothing that contain recycled plastic bottles. It's one way to keep them out of the landfill. I have no idea what wearing these items will do on your body, or when you put them into the washing machine and dryer. Will the heat emit some chemicals into the air? Will your perspiration create some chemical reaction more easily absorbed through the skin. I have no answers, only questions.
Have you stopped using your microwave?See results without voting
Bisphenol A in Your Food
OPINION PIECE ON PLASTIC IN OUR ENVIRONMENT
The Tipping Point
I often look for the tipping point in different areas of our individual lives, but more interestingly I'd love to learn what turns organizations, industry, business and government around when they have instituted a habit or method that has previously worked. When do they say, "Stop!" the time has come to view this issue in a new light, "Let's change course."
Is It Unanimous?
Who can tell us what happens behind closed doors in a community round table, when black suits congregate around a conference table, or when communicators discuss in a teleconference an important issue with life changing consequences? What sparks them to hear a different message that sways their opinion? Does it take a unanimous vote or will the one or few decanting votes take back seat to advisors or innovative information. When will the body of information about a potential hazard or concern about theta health to people and environment take precedent over the monetary interests?
Certainly in the long run the cost to care for sick people will weigh down the society, not only won't these individuals be productive, but the medical investment in hospitalization, home care, medications and procedures have not be calculated.
Long Term Dangers
Even though we have known the dangers of bisphenol A [BPA] leaking from plastic utensils and containers when microwaved, and the dispersion of bisphenol A into the drinks and water of typical plastic bottles, baby bottles and bottles of stored in freezers, the United States still holds back on taking action.
Canada Takes The Lead
Canadian studies indicate that BPAs abound and accumulate in the body which, in turn, effects the reproduction systems of animals. Humans can also be affected. Thus, Canada took a major step by declaring BPA a health hazard.
Concern For Our Children The Next Generation
Someone is finally looking out for the children who come in contact daily with baby bottles, sippy cups, and plastic toys.
Comparison Of Two Countries
The most startling information disclosed shows that Americans have TWICE as much BPA levels in their bodies as Canadians. So, what is taking the U.S. FDA and EPA to make a statement and take action to eliminate this toxin to human health?
Are You Using Glass Bottles, Jars and Containers?See results without voting
LINK LOVE AND THINGS TO THINK ABOUT
- Plastic Pollution - A Cancer in Nature Manufacturers use plastics around the world because its cheap, easy to produce and will last forever. Read some staggering figures and refresh your basic knowledge. Plastics do not decompose and will last forever to leak into the environment. According to latest studies, world-wide production of plastic reaches up to 105 million tons. The use of plastic in western and European countries is averaging 70 kg per person per year. vinesh777.hubpages.com/hub/Plastic-Pollution---A-Cancer-in-Nature
Just look at all the trash I created writing this Hubpages. Count up the cans and bottles. I'll have to switch to recyclable glass on the next Hub.
Comments 17 comments
About the Author
Debby Bruck, CHOM believes that homeopathy is the wave of the future that provides hope and healing to those who have tried every other approach. Follow Debby on Twitter.
Disclaimer: This Information is for Educational Purposes Only
- The information on this blogsite is posted for educational purposes only, and not intended to constitute medical or legal advice. As with any important medical or legal matter, you are advised to consult an experienced health care provider and/or knowledgeable attorney concerning your specific health & vaccine exemption or waiver concerns.
- No attorney-client relationship or doctor-patient relationship is intended, implied or created by the posting or viewing of information on this site; nor is a doctor-patient or an attorney-client relationship created by the submission or exchange of questions or information via email or otherwise with Debby Bruck
- Readers are responsible for their use of information provided on this blog or linked to from this site. Debby Bruck assumes no liability for the same.
- Debby Bruck has made reasonable efforts to ensure the accuracy of information on this blog site, but absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.
- Always check with your health care provider
More by this Author
A great find in the garden. Morel Mushroom.
Drinking coffee can be as romantic as joining a culture club and spending time with friends or sipping your favorite brew all alone.
Homeopathy heals strained, sprained and injured muscles and tendons with homeopathic remedies. One special remedy, Ruta graveolens, is often used for Tendonitis, tennis elbow, carpal tunnel and sports Injury.