Easy Black Eyed Pea Recipes You Can Make Ahead and Freeze
You don't have to be superstitious to enjoy these black eyed pea recipes on New Year's Day. They are delicious, healthy and easy to prepare.
An additional bonus point: they are kid-tested and approved (I did mention that good luck should grace anyone who sampled the dishes. But, they were genuinely enjoyed after the initial ploy.)
We used black eyed peas, but other beans (yes..black eyed peas are really a bean) work just as well. As usual, we suggest making extra batches to freeze and enjoy later.
The following recipes are included:
- Easy Black Eyed Soup Recipe in a Tomato Base
- Black Eyed Pea Hummus or Dip
- Black Eyed Pea Salsa
History and Health Benefits
Black eyed peas have been traditionally served in Hoppin' John soup. Linda Stradley discusses the historical background and offers several theories of the origin at the website What's Cooking America. One theory is that it was a tradition for kids to hop around the dinner table prior to sitting down to eat. Another custom involves dropping a coin (fully sanitized) into the soup. The person that receives the coin in their bowl will receive good luck during the coming year.
We love these recipes because they support healthy eating and resolutions you make any time of year!
Buy Diet and Exercise Books at Amazon and Save
Black eyed peas can be purchased dry or canned. We tried both types of beans with good results.
Canned peas should be thoroughly rinsed to remove excess sodium. The peas have already been cooked.
Dried black eyed peas require a little more work but many connoisseurs say the result is worth the extra effort, which really isn't that difficult. First, pick over the black eyed peas and remove broken peas and then rinse to remove any foreign particles.
To Quick Soak: Place 2 cups of peas (about 1 pound) in a pot with 6-8 cups of water. Bring to a rapid boil and then boil for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse peas. Now you are ready to cook the peas - see directions below.
To Soak Overnight: Place 2 cups of peas (about 1 pound) in a pot with 6-8 cups of water. Cover and let stand overnight or at least 6-8 hours. Drain and rinse peas. Now you are ready to cook the peas - see directions below.
To Cook Peas: Place peas and 6 cups of water to a large pot. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer about 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stirring gently every so often to prevent the skins from breaking on the peas.
Now, try one or more of the following black eyed pea recipes:
Easy Black Eyed Pea Soup
This black eyed pea recipe is a variation of our Easy Tomato Soup Recipe. The tomato soup is the base. Stir in black eyed peas, ham and vegetables of your choice for a hearty and delicious treat.
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 cup onion (1 medium sized onion)
- 2 carrots
- 2 teaspoons garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 14.5 ounce cans Whole Tomatoes
- Cooked ham, cubed
- Parsley to taste
- Chop onion into small pieces.
- Mince fresh garlic.
- Add olive oil to medium-sized saucepan.
- Add onions, garlic and salt to saucepan and saute over medium heat for 5-10 minutes.
- Add onion mixture and whole tomatoes to a food processor and puree.
- Before returning pureed mixture to pan, add 1 teaspoon of olive oil to pan and soften carrot or other vegetables.
- Pour combined onion and tomato mixture into saucepan.
- Stir in black-eyed peas and ham.
- Heat mixture over medium heat.
- Ladle into bowls. Garnish with parsley.
Yield: Approximately six 1-cup servings
Tips and Suggestions
- For endless options, make a large batch of Easy Tomato Soup (without the milk) and freeze in small portions. Add beans, other vegetables, and/or milk after you defrost the base.
Black Eyed Pea Hummus
- 1 1/2 cups black eyed peas (1 15.8-ounce can) (cooked and rinsed)
- 1 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3 Tablespoons tahini (sesame seed paste) (optional-see note below)
- Place all of the ingredients in a food processor.
- Pulse until the ingredients are smooth (approximately 5 - 10 seconds), scrape sides as necessary to incorporate.
- Serve with tortilla chips, crackers, pita wedges or vegetables such as carrots and peppers.
Yield: Approximately 1 1/2 cups. Double recipe for larger serving amount.
Tips and Suggestions
- Tahini is traditionally used in hummus, but can be pricey. My taste testers enjoyed the recipe without this ingredient.
- Incorporate hummus into a sandwich or wrap.
Black Eyed Pea Salsa
It does not get any easier than this! Use fresh, frozen or canned ingredients.
- 1 1/2 cups black eyed peas, drained and rinsed (1 15.8-ounce can)
- 1/2 cup corn, drained and rinsed (frozen or from a can)
- 1/2 cup tomato (drained or chopped fresh-approximately 1 large plum tomato)
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice (or the juice of 1 lime)
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- Prepare the ingredients as noted above and add to a bowl.
- Stir with a spoon and then let the mixture rest so the ingredients meld together and soak up the flavor.
- Serve with tortilla chips or pita wedges.
Yield: Approximately 3 cups. Double recipe for larger serving amount.
Tips and Suggestions
- Use a mixture of black beans and black eyed peas.
- Make it a meal. Serve over rice. Add diced cucumber and carrot.
- Serve over fish or chicken for a southwestern flavor.
Can you freeze it?
Yes you can! For best results, eat within 2 months of freezing.
Other Make and Freeze Recipes
- Best Mini Lump Crab Cake Recipe to Make Ahead and Fr...
A crab cake, that is in fact mostly crab meat and not a bunch of filler, is a delicacy to savor. This recipe uses saltines to complement the delicate crab with just a hint of Old Bay, onion and celery. It is...
- Best Ever Meatloaf Recipe to Make Ahead and Freeze
After tasting the Best Ever Meatloaf Recipe you'll join the ranks of thousands of our meal assembly kitchen customers that raved about this entree every month. Make ahead and freeze tips provided on this updated classic comfort food with two types of
- Best Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe to Make Ahead and ...
Our customers bestowed the honor of best chicken tortilla soup on this recipe! Make it ahead of time and freeze it. Use light ingredients for a low-fat version and the slow cooker or crockpot when you are crunched for time.
- Olive Garden's Pasta e Fagioli Recipe to Make Ahead ...
Make Olive Garden's Pasta e Fagiole soup recipe in your own kitchen. This make ahead and freeze recipe will ensure that you have a hearty soup on hand when cool weather arrives. Make it vegetarian if you like!
More by this Author
This Mediterranean Baked Chicken Recipe has it all: it's delicious, healthy, beautiful and it can be made ahead and frozen. A favorite at our meal assembly store, it is South Beach Phase I compliant and uses boneless,...
A crab cake, that is in fact mostly crab meat and not a bunch of filler, is a delicacy to savor. This recipe uses saltines to complement the delicate crab with just a hint of Old Bay, onion and celery. It is not...
- 4Egg-free, Dairy-free, Soy-free Convenience Products Available in the Grocery Store: A Food Allergy Resource Guide
This product guide is for anyone who is allergic to egg, dairy and soy (and peanut too!) or for the people who love them and never know what to buy at the grocery store. Scroll down to see the table of...