Breakfast Pizza on Whole Wheat Crust
Fresh, hot and fast Breakfast Pizza
Pizza for breakfast?
Put aside thoughts of cold, greasy left-overs from last night. You can have fresh, healthy breakfast pizza any day of the week.
This recipe is so easy, my kids can make it, with just a little help from me. Its so delicious and fun, even your pickiest eaters will enjoy it. When you can be assured that they're getting some nutritious fuel to start their day, forget the nagging!
The dish calls for eggs, cheese, ham and pineapple, on a whole wheat crust. You'll get all four food groups in one low-fat, high-protein meal. I'm not sure when we first started making this recipe, but let's just say that its been a staple on the menu for years!
Just because its called "breakfast pizza," doesn't mean you can't have it for lunch or dinner! In fact, we love a breakfast dinner at my place.
Pizza for Breakfast!
How to Make Breakfast Pizza
Breakfast pizza takes about 20 minutes to make and serves 4 hungry kids. You might want to make an extra pizza for you and a friend to enjoy after the school bell rings.
- 1 12-inch prepared whole wheat pizza crust (Boboli makes a good crust - or make your own from scratch the night before, if you prefer)
- 2 T margarine or butter
- 1/2 pound pre-cooked ham, chopped
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 c. shredded cheese - we like a blend of cheddar, mozzarella and parmesan cheese
- 1 can diced pineapple, or 1/2 of a fresh pineapple cored and diced
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- In a non-stick skillet, add 2 T margarine or butter and melt
- Add eggs, salt and pepper and cook, stirring continuously, until eggs are firm, cooked thoroughly
- Stir in the ham into the mixture and remove from heat
- Place whole wheat crust on a pizza pan or cookie sheet
- Top crust with egg mixture, pineapple and then cover with cheese
- Bake 12-15 minutes at 400 until cheese is bubbly and the edges of the crust are browned
- Serve immediately
Pizza Omelette, aka Breakfast Pizza
Cook Time for Breakfast Pizza
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 10 min
- Ready in: 20 min
- Yields: 6-8 slices of breakfast pizza
Creative Ingredients for Breakfast Pizza
Not a ham and pineapple pizza fan?
No worries! Make your own breakfast pizza using ingredients you love.
Here's some variations on the theme and ideas for other creative ingredients:
- Replace whole wheat crust with "regular" pizza crust. Brush with melted butter and herbs (chopped oregano or basil) and bake at 400 for 1-2 minutes before topping with egg mixture, if desired
- Replace the ham and pineapple with crumbled bacon. Cook 4 strips of bacon for 4 minutes each side in a fry pan. Allow to cool and then crumble into the egg mixture. If sausage is your preference, cook 4 links or 2 patties. Slice or crumble before stirring into the eggs.
- Stir in some of your other favorite ingredients with the eggs. Try 1/4 c. sliced black olives, sundried tomatoes, and/or chopped green onions.
- Go vegetarian, using 1/2 c. sliced mushrooms and/or 1/2 c. tofu
- Add a few dashes of Tabasco or chili sauce, or 1-2 T of chili powder or Taco seasoning to add a Mexican flair to your breakfast pizza
- Prepare mini breakfast pizzas using split English muffins instead of pizza crust. Reduce cooking time to 7-9 minutes
What do you think about this Breakfast Pizza Recipe?
© 2010 Stephanie Hicks
More by this Author
Breakfast fruit smoothies can be made at home with these recipes. Delicious and good for you, breakfast can be fast and healthy.
Looking for hearty and healthy morning recipes? Try making easy breakfast burritos. In less than 10 minutes, you'll be out the door and last until lunch before you are hungry.
Get away from the European main land and head to one of these 12 islands instead for your next vacation. Culture, beauty and a unique experience await.