Broccolini (Brocollini) Recipe - Simple & Delicious
While often confused with baby broccoli, broccolini is a variant of broccoli, with long stalks and freer heads than classic "stumpy" broccoli. It's actually a hybrid of broccoli and Chinese broccoli (gai lan). However, you can easily make this same recipe with baby broccoli, too.
I've seen it plenty of times at Trader Joe's and marveled at its gorgeous green color (for less than $3 for a pack). I have a recipe that is really delicious, that's appropriate for its Italian name. It's also simple and you can be done from beginning to end in less than 15 minutes.
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 5 min
- Ready in: 15 min
- Yields: Serves 4
- 1 bunch Broccolini, (or Baby Broccoli)
- 2 cloves Garlic, diced
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. (or to taste) Salt
- 1 tsp. (or to taste) Red Pepper Flakes
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Toss in some salt.
- Cut the broccolini in half, with the stalks in one pile and the heads in another.
- When the water starts to boil, throw in the stalks.
- After 3 minutes, throw in the heads, too.
- After a total cooking time of 8 minutes, drain the broccolini in a colander. The color should be a vibrant green.
- Over a medium flame, add olive oil to the dry sauce pan.
- Add the minced/diced garlic and fry for about a minute, just long enough for the garlic to soften (do not allow it to brown).
- Add the broccolini and toss while stir-frying, for 1 minute. Toss in red pepper flakes.
- Serve and enjoy!
|Serving size: 1 cup|
|Calories from Fat||36|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 4 g||6%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 4 g|
|Carbohydrates 3 g||1%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
More by this Author
Making yogurt at home is easy, and does not require any special equipment. I've made yogurt dozens of times using this method, which I describe step-by-step with photos. Save money and have fun making your own yogurt!
Ever tried to make French macaroons (macarons)? Impossible, you say? No! This method has *always* worked beautifully for me, and I am no whiz in the kitchen. I detail step-by-step, with plenty of pictures, and an...
Updated for 2016: Price per square foot for 20 prefab (modular) home companies' products, including Blu Homes, Proto Homes, ideabox (Ikea), weeHouses, and many others.