Cheesy Chicken Wings with Pineapple Salsa Recipe
Chicken wings are probably one of the world's most popular finger foods or snacks. They are absolutely delicious cooked in the very simplest of ways but there are times when it is good to prepare them a little bit differently and get a little bit of a change from the norm. This easy way of giving chicken wings a crisp, cheesy coating goes a long way to doing that on its own but the simple pineapple salsa introduces a further unexpected flavour to the dish. The instructions for preparing this recipe include two different variations for how the coating can be incorporated on the chicken wings.
Ingredients and DirectionsClick thumbnail to view full-size
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 35 min
- Ready in: 50 min
- Yields: Serving platter for two people
- 10 to 12 chicken wings
- 2 tbsp fresh breadcrumbs
- 2oz cheddar or other hard cheese, grated or shredded
- 2 little gem (mini cos/romaine) lettuces, shredded
- 1 small red onion, peeled and sliced
- 5 or 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and finely chopped
- ¼ green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 pineapple ring (canned in own juice), finely chopped
- 4 basil leaves, shredded
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Put your oven on to preheat to 400F/200C/Gas mark 6.
- Pour the olive oil in to a large glass bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add the chicken wings and carefully stir them around to evenly coat them in the oil. Lay the wings in a single layer on a large roasting tray and cook in the oven for thirty minutes.
- Add the diced tomato, pineapple and green pepper to a small bowl. Season with the basil, salt and pepper. Stir well and transfer to a small serving ramekin.
- Mix the lettuce and red onion together and lay in the base of a serving platter. Lay the ramekin of salsa in the centre of the platter.
- Add the cheese and breadcrumbs to the (washed and dried) bowl you used earlier for the chicken wings and stir to combine.
- Remove the chicken wings from the oven and use cooking tongs to transfer them to the breadcrumb mix. very carefully stir around to combine before returning to the roasting tray and the oven for five more minutes.
- Remove the wings from the oven again and lay them on a wire rack to rest for five or ten minutes.
- Lay the wings on the salad and serve immediately.
Alternative Way of Coating and Serving the Chicken WingsClick thumbnail to view full-size
The vast majority of the ingredients and procedures remain the same, with the only differences included below.
- The salad in this instance includes only one lettuce and half a red onion. Half a seeded and sliced green bell pepper is added. The cherry tomatoes are replace by a medium tomato, chopped in to segments.
- When the chicken wings are cooked, the cheese and breadcrumb mix is merely scattered over the top of them as they lie in the tray and before the tray is returned to the oven.
- The bell pepper, onion and salad is laid on individual plates, with servings of the salsa. The tomato wedges are arranged between the plated chicken wings.
What did you think of this idea?
More by this Author
- EDITOR'S CHOICE14
Chicken drumsticks are a favourite with kids both big and small. This page is devoted to exploring a number of different ways in which chicken drumsticks can be prepared and cooked, either for a meal at home, or a...
Balmoral chicken is a classic Scottish dish seeing chicken breast fillets stuffed with haggis. This recipe sees the haggis made to stuff a whole chicken. It is served with breaded clapshot portions.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE27
Duck eggs make a wonderfully tasty and refreshing change from chicken eggs and can largely be cooked almost exactly the same way. This page features ten different ways in which you can cook duck eggs (or chicken eggs)...