Stir Fried Choko Recipe
What is a Choko?
Is it a vegetable or is it a pear? The choko has many names including chayote, pear squash and vegetable pear. It is can be used in raw and cooked dishes. This fruit can be cooked like squash or zucchini. It has its own unique crispiness and flavour though most people find the flavour quite bland.
The choko is a perennial plant that grows well in frost-free areas. The vines grow rampantly and require a trellis or pergola for support. The fruits are ready for harvest in autumn and winter.
Most parts of the choko plant are edible including the vines, roots, stem, seeds and leaves. The young leaves and parts of the stems are often used in stir fry dishes. The roots are eaten like root crops. The seeds may be eaten when the fruit is young.
Chokos can be preserved as pickles or relishes, baked, boiled, stir fried or used as pie fillings.
- Prep time: 2 min
- Cook time: 3 min
- Ready in: 5 min
- Yields: 4 servings
- How to Make Salted Eggs (with Duck or Chicken Eggs)
Learn how to make your own homemade salted eggs.
Ingredients for Stir Fried Choko
- 2 medium chokos
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- a pinch of salt
- some pepper
Instructions - How to cook
- Cut the chokos into thin slices.
- Heat up oil in a fry pan.
- Add in chopped garlic and fry until light brown.
- Add in choko slices and stir.
- Add in salt, pepper, water and oyster sauce.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Serve as a side dish.
Please give a rating for this recipe
Have you tasted chokos before?See results without voting
You can grow chokos in your own backyard. They don't need a lot of space as long as there is a trellis for the choko vines to climb. For more information on how to grow chokos, just follow the link below:
- Growing The Choko Plant - How To Grow Your Own Choko...
A choko plant can produce several hundred fruits each season. This is how you can grow your own chokos in the backyard and home garden.
- How To Use A Thermal Cooker - Everyday Recipes for M...
Food only takes less than 20 minutes to cook on the stove and the thermal cooker will do the rest of the cooking. Information on how to use the thermal cooker with recipes for easy and hearty meals.
- Vietnamese Spring Rolls - A Healthy and Gluten Free ...
A quick and easy recipe for making delicious Vietnamese spring rolls served with dipping sauce.
- White Radish (Carrot) Cake Recipes - Hong Kong Style...
Easy recipes for white radish cake.
- Hot and Cold Sago Pearls Dessert Recipes
Yummy sago dessert recipes, serve them hot or cold.
- How To Make Curry Puffs Recipe - Delicious Deep Frie...
Curry puffs are popular snacks in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia. They are not only delicious to eat but easy to make, too. Check out these curry puff recipes here.
- Meat Glue (Transglutaminase) - Is It Really Used in ...
Some of us have not heard of meat glue until Today Tonight's broadcast showed us how small pieces of meat can be glued together to produce a big chunk of steak. At the ...
More by this Author
Goat meat is easy to cook and taste really delicious and tender if the meat is cooked in the correct way. Here is an awesome goat meat caldereta recipe which has been a favourite dish in the family for many years.
A winter warmer - homemade creamy pumpkin soup recipe.
Food takes less than 20 minutes to cook on the stove and the thermal cooker will do the rest of the cooking. Information on how to use the thermal cooker with recipes for easy and hearty meals.