How To Make Coleslaw and Egg Mayo Sandwiches
Coleslaw, Egg and Lettuce Sandwich Recipe
Why I make my own salad sandwiches and food for a picnic.
- Homemade salad sandwiches always taste better.
- You know they are fresh and hygienically prepared.
- They are so much cheaper to make.
- It is fun being creative with salad food and easy to prepare.
- Spring Onions
- Cut up the cabbage into strips and then turn around and cut up again. This will give you finally chopped pieces of cabbage.
- Cut the ends off the carrots and peel.
- Cut the carrots in half. Slice them length ways, and then cut them into tiny squares.
- Mix the cut cabbage and carrots together.
- Peel the spring onions and cut off the end where the roots are. Be careful to keep as much of the bulb as you can. Use all the bulb and the green stalks, these are both delicious so do not waste them.
- Cut them into small pieces and add to the cabbage and carrots.
Now you have the basic ingredients for coleslaw. Two members of my family prefer this on its own. Take out whatever amount you need for each portion and put aside.
- Add the mayonnaise to the basic coleslaw. I use a spoon and then mix it well in, making sure all the vegetables are covered.
How to Make Coleslaw with added Vegetables
- Cut off two large pieces of celery and wash under the tap.
- Cut them length ways into three long pieces.
- Cut the celery sticks into small squares pieces
- Add to the basic mix
Cauliflower or Broccoli
- Take off a few florets of cauliflower or broccoli and run under the tap.
- Cut them up into very small pieces
- Add to the basic mix
- Clean the beans under the tap and cut into small pieces
- Add to the basic mix
- Once you have decided which vegetables you want to add to the coleslaw then you can add the mayonnaise.
I find it is always best to make the coleslaw and leave in the fridge at least an hour before you are ready to make the salad sandwiches. This gives the ingredients time to settle and the flavors to combine together.
Coleslaw, Potato Salad and other Fillings for your Picnic Food
Salad and egg sandwiches
Ham, Cheese or Beef Salad Sandwiches
- Butter your bread, muffins or baps and add the ham, cheese or beef.
- Then add the coleslaw.
- Wrap in sandwich bags with the name of the person on it.
- Once all the sandwiches are made put them in another larger bag and leave in the fridge.
- Take them out of the fridge when you are ready to leave for that walk in the park or up the mountain with your homemade picnic sandwiches.
I love going up to the Little Orme in North Wales for a picnic. The views are amazing and the air is fresh and full of energy. I take holidays in Wales a lot because the mountains and sea air makes me feel so good.
I am the one who makes the food for the picnic because I love doing it and the family enjoys the sandwiches and salad so much. Some of us are fussy eaters so once the food is made up I make the sandwiches to everyone’s different taste and put them in named food bags.
Everyone gets the sandwiches they like and a wonderful picnic is assured. So I have written my unique recipes for Homemade Coleslaw and Potato Salad above. I have also given some ideas for making Salad Sandwiches
Homemade Potato Salad and Coleslaw with Sandwiches
I have a picnic box cooler which is great for keeping the food fresh and cold. This is also very important when carrying food out on a picnic. Food left in a car on a hot day can turn dangerous if left there too long.
My picnic basket has two large freezer blogs which are taken out of the freezer when we are on our way out. These take hours to defrost in the picnic basket. This keeps the food cold and safe.
Making homemade salad sandwiches with coleslaw and potato salad is easy and cheap. Why not try out some of my recipes above and give your picnic food that fresh and delicious taste.
All Images are Copyright of L.M.Reid
How To Make Egg Mayonnaise Sandwiches
Egg mayonnaise sandwiches are also great for picnics.
I make lots of these for parties too. Boiled egg with mayo on a sandwich is so tasty and easy to make.
To see how I make my egg mayo sandwiches click on the link below.
How To make NYC Coleslaw
How To Make KFC Coleslaw
More by this Author
How to cook Cottage Pie Recipe. Make Cottage Pie using ground beef mince.
Recipe for roast lamb. How to cook lamb with roast potatoes, mash, carrots, cauliflower cheese, sprouts and gravy.
How To Make a Fruit Cake from Scratch. Eat plain or use icing to create a Christmas Cake