25 Amazing Cooking Hacks to Try in the Kitchen
Food Preparation Hacks:
- Can’t find your rolling pin? A wine bottle will do the job just as efficiently!
- To yield more juice from limes and lemons, some people swear by massaging the fruit for a few minutes before cutting them.
- When you’re measuring sticky liquids like honey or syrup, spray your measuring cup with non-stick spray to make for easier clean up after.
- Need to separate the yolk from the egg whites? Use a plastic bottle! Position the mouth of the bottle gently on the yolk, and squeeze the sides to pull it up into the bottle (thanks to the power of suction).
- To successfully pick out those annoying pieces of eggshell from the rest of the yolk, first wet your fingers. You’ll be surprised how easily you’ll get the pieces out!
- Cooking a large meal? Try cutting and chopping up your veggies a day or two before the big day and storing them in the fridge in airtight bags and containers to keep them fresh. It’ll save you so much time.
- Making hash browns? To make them crispier, wash the grated potato before frying. You can do this by using a strainer.
- Problems with your chopping board sliding around on your counter or table? Placing a damp paper towel under it will help keep it in place.
- Cloves of garlic can be a pain to peel. To save yourself time, put the entire garlic in an enclosed container, like a jar with a lid (some people even use two bowls held together) and shake vigorously for ten to fifteen seconds. Afterwards, you should have fully peeled garlic! If it’s only partially peeled, shake again.
Check out this video!
- Here’s a neat way to chill your wine without watering it down – freeze grapes, then plop one or two into your wine glass.
- Make your breakfast cereal more interesting by pouring yoghurt over it instead of just regular milk.
- Want to make coloured icing? Jell-O or flavoured gelatin powdered can be used instead of food colouring.
- Use cookie cutters to make your pancakes into awesome designs.
- Make your pancakes extra special by adding various things into the mix – chocolate chips, banana chunks, blueberries, hot chocolate mix, tinned fruit – even orange juice!
- Like your ice cream soft? Keep the container in a Ziploc bag!
General Cooking Hacks:
- Want boiled potatoes, but in a rush? Pop them in the microwave to save yourself some time. Using a fork, poke holes in them on all sides, and them put them on a microwave-safe plate for around eight minutes (some microwaves come with a built in setting for cooking potatoes this way).
- Ramen noodles don’t have to be boring – spice them up by adding ingredients like diced or tinned veggies, chopped meat, seasonings and sauces.
- Like your bacon strips curly? Dip it into cold water before frying it.
- Want to make your hash browns a little healthier? Use your waffle iron to make them instead of busting out the frying pan.
- If you’re grilling fish, put down a layer of lemon slices on the grill, then place the fish on top. It’ll prevent any problem with sticking to the grill, and you’ll get a nice infused lemon flavor!
- Heating up leftover rice or pasta? Spread it out on the plate, leaving a small empty hole in the middle. It’ll heat up more evenly, and you won’t have “cold spots” in your food (Who likes that?).
- Frozen meat is much easier to slice than thawed meat when you’re preparing stir-fries or stews.
Cleaning Up Hacks:
- To get the strong scent of onion off your hands, put some salt in your hands and rub them together while under a running tap. The smell will be gone in no time! This tip came from the master chef Julia Child herself.
- Stove top grills in general are hard to clean afterwards. If possible, leave your grill soaking in soap water for a few hours. You’ll be able to just wipe the grime off.
- We all know that plastic containers used for food storage can pick up smells after constant usage. These odours can be eliminated by filling the container with a mixture of white vinegar and water and leaving it for a few hours. If the odour is persistent, repeat the process.
More by this Author
Want to create your own shopping Haul Video for YouTube, but not sure how? This article gives you great tips and tricks for how to make your own haul video, while having fun!
Going to a Halloween party this year, but have no idea what to dress up as? This article has 18 great ideas for last-minute costumes that you can put together without spending a lot of money.
This article will show you ways to not only pass (and survive) English Literature class, but how to get a good grade!