Creamy Clam Chowder
Homemade clam chowder
Here is a simple, tasty homemade New England clam chowder recipe for you to enjoy. The dish is creamy and delicious if you like clam chowder. This hearty dish can be a meal or a side, enjoy.
- 3 lb clams, in shell
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 3 long strips bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 lb potatoes, diced
- 1 1/4 cups fish stock
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup cream
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
Prep and cooking instructions
- Discard any clams that are broken, open or do not close when tapped. Soak in cold water for 1 - 2 hours to get rid of any excess sand. Drain and place into heavy pan with 1 cup of water. Cover and simmer for for 5 minutes. Get rid of any clams that do not open. Strain and reserve liquid then remove clam meat from shells.
- Heat oil in pan. Add bacon, garlic, onion and cook, stirring over medium heat until onion is soft and bacon has browned. Add potatoes then stir.
- Use reserved liquid and water to make 1 1/4 cups. Add liquid to pan along with milk and stock. Bring to a boil then reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes. Uncover then simmer for 10 minutes. Mixture should thicken slightly.
- Add cream, clam meat and parsley. Add salt and pepper as needed. Heat through before serving, do not boil as the liquid may curdle. Serve and enjoy
More by this Author
I have traveled this highway many times on my yearly trip to Florida from Detroit. There is lots to see for those traveling along this road. Here are some tips for traveling from Detroit to Florida as well as some...