Different Cuts of Beef and How To Cook Them
The Facts About Different Cuts of Beef
Walking through the beef section of the supermarket can be an overwhelming task when you are looking at all the different cuts of beef. You look and look and see names such as chuck, sirloin, rump and you wonder what the heck is it all supposed to mean.
Is there different ways to cook these various beef cuts? Can you fry a rump roast or can you roast a brisket? Well I'm going to explain the different cuts available and help you out with some brief information on the best way to cook beef.
Where's The Beef?
A cow provides all the beef we eat and different parts of the cow provides different cuts of beef. The upper chest section near the head is called the chuck. The back end near the tail is called the round and the upper parts of the legs is called the shank.
Each part of the cow provides the different cuts of beef that we prepare for meals. Ground round is from the round portion of the cow and is less fat. Ground chuck comes from the front side. Relatively easy right?
Cuts Of Beef Explained
The following lists the different cuts of beef and how they should be prepared:
- Brisket - The beef brisket is very flavorfull and usually sold boneless. It less tender than other cuts but afer cooking for a long, slow period it is a delicious tender cut of beef. It can be found corned or fresh.
- Chuck - Typically is is sold in 2 to 3 inch thick pieces. It requires a long time to cook to become tender. It is very flavor filled but should be roasted in liquid to be kept moist.
- Flank - The flank steak is a tasty cut of beef but it should be marinated prior to grilling or braising. Always cut a flank steak against the grain and cut it thinly.
- Filet Mignon - This most tender and juciy part of the loin comes from the juiciest tenderloin area. It is cooked in small portions and is considered to be the high class cut of beef that is so tender it melts in your mouth. It is best when broiled or grilled.
- Loin - This section of the cow provides us with types of beef such as the tenderloin, sirloin,
- Rib - The rib area of the cow provides us with the best cuts of beef. It is there the prime rib is from. Slow roasted prime rib is extremely tasty and is usually roasted to desired preference. This part of the cow provides us with the most tender cuts of beef.
- Round - The round area holds the cheaper cuts of meat. Round roasts and bottom round roasts need to be cooked for a long time and is well suited for the crock pot. Stew meat comes from the round area as does London broil.
- Sirloin - Sirloin is from the loin portion of the cow. Sirloin steak is a larger sized steak that is flavorful and fairly lean. It has no bones and offers great value of for the cost. It is a versatile cut of meat that can be broiled, grilled or pan fired.
Beef Roasting Pan With Rack
Beef Cooking Methods
Cuts of beef can be cooked in various ways. I have listed the types of beef and how they should be cooked.
Roasting is cooking in an uncovered pan with a dry heat. Beef cuts best suited for roasting:
- Chuck Eye Roast
- Eye of Round Roast
- Prime Rib
- Shoulder Roast
- Sirloin Tip Roast
- Tenderloin Roast
Grilling or broiling cooks the beef with high heat which seals in the juices. It is best to grill beef that has thin layers of fat within the meat called marbling. Beef cuts best suited for grilling:
- Sirloin Steak
- Strip Steak
- Eye of Round Steak
- Londoin Broil
- Bottom Round Steak
- Filet Mignon
- Porterhouse Steak
- Flank Steak
Braising is cooking beef in a covered pot with liquid so it keeps the beef moist. Best cuts for braising are less tender beef cuts such as:
- Chuck roast
- Rump Roast
- Short Ribs
- Bottom Round
Sauteing is a quick pan frying method using hot oil to cook beef. Cuts of beef that are best cooked this way are:
- Flat Iron Steak
- Ground beef
- Rib Eye Steak
- Cube Steak
More by this Author
A guide to the most wanted Christmas gifts this season. If you want to know the most popular gifts for Christmas gift giving this year, this article will give you advice on Christmas shopping.
- 55Best Facebook Quotes 2015 To Update Your Status - Popular Facebook Sayings to Make Friends Laugh or Cry
Updating your status is a major activity for Facebook members. The most popular, best Facebook sayings and quotes can be found here.
Halloween is one of those holidays that is great for fun food items. If you are having a Halloween party or just want to make the day extra special, check out the Halloween recipes and pictures here.