Down-Home Style Pumpkin Bread Recipe
An Early Start is Good...
The holidays are not here yet, but I can hear the jingle of sleigh bells in the distance.There is so much to do at this time of year. There really is no harm in starting now.
It Must Be Good
There are many other recipes for Pumpkin Bread on the market, but this recipe has a special twist that makes all of the difference in the world. You know the food is good when people ask you to make it months in advance.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 cup white sugar (I use water)
- 1 cup lightly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 16oz canned pumpkin
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup of water or milk
- Raisins –optional
- Chopped walnuts – optional
- Powdered sugar-optional
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda salt and spices together and blend thoroughly; set aside
- Cream butter; gradually add sugars, creaming until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition
- Beating only until smooth after each addition, alternately add dry ingredients in fourths a mixture of water, pumpkin, in thirds
- Add oil and blend until smooth
- (I taste the mixture to see if it has the sweetness I expect it to have. If it doesn’t I add more sugar.)
- If adding raisins and nuts, add at this point.
- Pour into floured pan and bake at 350F about 30 minutes or until cake tests done. (test bread by inserting a toothpick or butter-knife into the bread. If the toothpick or butter-knifeare completely clean and dry when you pull them out of the bread then it is ready to remove from the oven.
- Cover pans with waxed paper and let cool 10 minutes.
- Use sieve to sprinkle powdered sugar on top for finishing touch
The unique flavor of this bread comes from a very important element….You must sing or hum at intervals as you are preparing it. If you feel it, you should give a little Holy Ghost shout evey now and then... it only makes the bread better.Happy Holidays!
Kosher cooking for everyone.
Serious sophisticated recipes in a short time. Simple is easy.
More by this Author
To live life well we need to be strong. Many things come against us to make us weak. Here is a brief list of those things.
Prayer is the most important activity in a Christians life. The Bible shows us nine different types of prayers and the rules that govern them.
Understand what it means to commit yourself to God. This hub describes the Prayer of Commitment.