Easy Breakfast Burritos Recipe
Make Your First Meal of the Day Count
Looking for a hearty, but healthy breakfast for your family? Don't even think fast food - think easy breakfast burritos. In 15 minutes, you can have a meal that will fill you up with healthy protein to power you on your day.
They say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. After 10-12 hours of fasting, you are literally "breaking the fast," with your first bite in the morning.
A breakfast loaded with sugar can boost you up quickly, but result in a crash later, leaving you groggy and hungry. Just the right balance of carbohydrates and protein will energize you and keep your blood sugar at a nice, even and consistent level. My tip? Save the sugary breakfasts for the weekend!
This breakfast burrito recipe contains all four of the main food groups: dairy, lean protein, grains and vegetables. The beauty of it, however, is that you can tweak your meal preparation to fit your unique tastes and dietary requirements.
Cook Time for Breakfast Burritos
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 15 min
- Ready in: 25 min
- Yields: 4-6 breakfast burritos
How to Make a Breakfast Burrito
This recipe makes 4 breakfast burritos - perfect for a busy family! In less than 1/2 hour, you can go from start to finish and out the door.
My kids love this recipe and ask for it often!
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 c. milk
- 4 whole wheat tortillas
- 1/2 c. shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 oz. lean pre-cooked ham or turkey, chopped
- 1 chopped tomato
- 1 chopped green onion
- 2 T. chopped fresh cilantro, if desired
- 1 T. taco seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
1. In a medium sized bowl, stir eggs and milk together with a fork, breaking up the yolks (if desired, this recipe can be made with egg whites only - separate the yolks out before adding to the bowl and discard or save yolks for another recipe). Salt and pepper, if desired.
2. Spray a fry pan with non-stick coating and add egg mixture. Cook eggs over medium-low heat, stirring continuously until eggs are done. Stir in grated cheese and pre-cooked ham or turkey, and taco seasoning. Remove from heat and set aside. Clean the fry pan, removing egg remnants.
3. Using the same fry pan, spray again with non-stick coating (or, melt 1-2 T of margarine or butter over medium low heat). Add each tortilla wrap, one at a time and cook over medium heat, about 3 minutes each side. Remove from heat and keep warm.
4. In the center of each tortilla, place about 1/3 c. of the egg mixture, sprinkle chopped tomatoes, onions and herbs over the top and salt and pepper if you wish. Fold the bottom of the tortilla up about 1/4, and then fold in the sides, then roll.
5. Serve with fresh tomato salsa, sour cream, or hot sauce, if desired.
How to Roll a Burrito
Variations on the Basic Breakfast Burrito Recipe
The original breakfast burrito recipe above is fairly low-fat (less than 8 grams of fat for each burrito), and sensible in calorie count (about 300 calories per burrito).
You can decide how healthy you want your own breakfast burrito, however! Here's some suggested revisions that will change the fat and calorie count a bit:
- Try corn or flour tortillas instead of whole wheat - less fiber and a less "nutty" taste
- Replace 8 whole eggs with 9-10 egg whites; or use 2 cups of egg substitute and cut out the milk
- Experiment with different cheeses - pepper jack will add some kick, or try a mild mozzarella or swiss cheese
- Go meatless or use tofu instead of meat for a tasty veggie burrito!
- One word: bacon. Sure, its not low-fat, but so tasty and delicious!
- Try different veggies: chopped white or yellow onions, avocado slices, jalapeno peppers are all excellent. Try fresh spinach too! Add healthy fiber with 1/2 c. pinto or black beans
- Consider adding 1 c. stir-fried cubed russet potatoes for a heartier breakfast dish
- Change up the herbs and spices - parsley, thyme, or rosemary are good bets. Try stirring in a pinch of curry, or chipotle for something really unique!
I found this Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese breakfast burrito recipe on YouTube - guess what we're making at our home this weekend?
How do you Rate Breakfast Burritos?
Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese Breakfast Burrito
Fuel Up with a Great Tasting Breakfast Burrito
Now that you know how easy it is to make breakfast burritos, and how you can use healthy ingredients to start your day off right, its time to stir things up in your kitchen!
What ingredients would you include in your own breakfast burrito?
Take the poll to the right, or add your own creative comments below!
© 2010 Stephanie Hicks
More by this Author
Breakfast fruit smoothies can be made at home with these recipes. Delicious and good for you, breakfast can be fast and healthy.
Love pizza? Busy mornings? Try this nutrious recipe for breakfast pizza on whole wheat crust that will have you satisfied until lunchtime.
Narcissistic people generally have grandiose ideas, difficulty listening to other people, and lack empathy. If you have to interact with a person with narcissism, here are some tips.