Chocolate Cake Recipe
For Chocolate Lovers
I have always been a fan of Chocolate, and remember as a child that we often made this Chocolate Cake on the weekends. It never lasted long, as we kept going back for more slices.
There was even a time when we made this recipe every weekend, and never got tired of it.
It is a very simple recipe and requires little cooking skill. Even I managed to make it and I have no cooking ability. If you find you cannot seem to make anything in the kitchen, you might want to give this recipe a try. You may surprise yourself, and find that you can make it.
You are also likely to find yourself wanting to use this recipe again and again.
If you love chocolate cake, this is for you.
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 30 min
- Ready in: 45 min
- Yields: 10 Slices
- 1 and 3/4 cups Flour
- 3/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 and 1/4 cups Sugar
- 1/2 cup Cocoa
- A pinch Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 2 Eggs
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- Before you start mixing ingredients, turn your oven to 350F (180C). You want your over to be ready for your cake once you have finished preparing it.
- Sift together all the Dry Ingredients (Flour, Baking Powder, Sugar, Cocoa, Salt, Bicarbonate of Soda)
- Add in the butter, eggs, milk and Vanilla Essence
- Mix all the above ingredients at a slow speed for about 3 minutes Make sure they are all fully mixed together, if not, mix for longer (for some climates 3 eggs is better - for example in England)
- Place the mixture into two cake baking tins and bake at 350F (180C) for 30 minutes
- Check the cake is ready. If not, allow extra cooking time. Cooking times may vary, depending upon the oven.
- Allow to cool, before adding icing. There is a great icing recipe below, or you may prefer to use your own.
I have made this recipe in different countries and find that for some climates 3 eggs is better than 2. For example in England, adding an extra egg helps
Have you tried it?
I would love to know if you have tried this chocolate cake recipe, and what you think. It has always been a favourite of mine, especially since it is easy to make.
Please let me know
A good chocolate cake needs great icing, so here is a simple chocolate icing that goes with this cake. This icing has a chocolate and coffee flavour.
1 and 1/4 cups icing sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1 Tablespoon milk
1 Tablespoon butter
2 Tablespoons strong coffee
A pinch of salt
1) Sift all of the dry ingredients for better icing consistency
2) Next add in all the remaining ingredients
3) Mix all the icing ingredients together at high speed for about 4 minutes. Make sure they are fully mixed, and that all lumps have broken up. You want your icing to be smooth
Extra Tips for the Icing
1) I find that varying the icing ingredients is worth it to adjust to your specific tastes. Try more of some of the ingredients. I sometimes add in much more icing sugar, then increase the milk. Keep adjusting the quantities until you get the taste and consistency you like
2) Make more icing by doubling all the quantities
3) Use Caramel instead of icing in between the two layers of cake. Caramel makes a great filler between cake layers
More by this Author
In the previous article, we discussed some important principles that you, the new guitarist, needs to keep in mind as you step out to learn the guitar. In this article we will build upon those principles and begin to...
How to play Minor and Seventh Chords on the Guitar, including finger positioning, diagrams and explanation of music theory
If you have ever found yourself staring at a blank screen, unable to come up with the words to fill it, you may have experienced writer's block. Discover ways to overcome this loss of inspiration