Easy Gluten Free Recipes for Treats
Be kind to your sensitive tummy and indulge your sweet tooth at the same time with these easy gluten free recipes. These treats are so yummy no-one will believe they're made without wheat and are suitable for the whole family to enjoy.
Free-form Apple Pie
Serves 6 to 8• Gluten free plain flour, for dusting
• 1 egg, separated
• ¼ cup ground almonds (almond meal)
• ¾ pound (400g) Granny Smith or Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, thinly sliced
• 2 tablespoons caster sugar
• 1 tablespoon demerara sugar
• 1/3 cup pure icing sugar, sifted
• 1 ½ cups gluten free plain flour
• 4 ounces (125g) butter, cubed, chilled
• 2 to 3 tablespoons chilled water
1. Make pastry: Place icing sugar, flour and butter into a food processor. Process until combined. Add 2 tablespoons of water. Process until pastry just starts to come together, adding more water if necessary.
2. Turn pastry onto a lightly floured surface. Flatten into a disc. Wrap in baking paper. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Dust a large sheet of baking paper with flour. Place pastry onto baking paper. Roll out to a 12 inch (30cm diameter) circle. Transfer pastry (still on baking paper) to a large baking tray. Whisk egg yolk. Brush pastry with egg yolk, leaving a 2 inch (5cm) border around edges. Sprinkle almonds over egg yolk. Arrange apple slices over pastry (leaving border free). Sprinkle with caster sugar.
4. Fold pastry border in over apples. Lightly whisk egg white. Brush pastry edges with egg white. Sprinkle with demerara sugar.
5. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Bake for a further 15 minutes or until pastry is golden. Serve.
To store and serve
• Gluten free cakes do not stay fresh for as long as cakes made from wheat. Wrap cooled cakes in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
• Refresh a piece of cake in the microwave on Medium (50%) for 20-30 seconds.
Moist Chocolate Cake
• 1 cup rice flour
• ½ cup gluten free cornflour
• ½ cup potato flour
• 2/3 cup cocoa powder
• 2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
• 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
• 2 eggs, at room temperature
• 1 ½ cups caster sugar
• 2 ounces (60g) butter, melted
• ¾ cup gluten free vanilla yogurt
• 2/3 cup reduced fat milk
• 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
• shredded orange rind, to serve
• 6 ounces (200g) milk chocolate, chopped
• ¼ cup pouring cream
• 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
1. Preheat oven to 340 degrees F (170 degrees C). Grease and line a deep, 9 inch (23cm) (base) springform pan.
2. Sift flours, cocoa, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl.
3. Whisk eggs and sugar in a jug. Add butter, yogurt, milk and vanilla. Mix well. Pour egg mixture into flour mixture. Using an electric mixer, beat on low for 2 minutes or until mixture is pale in colour.
4. Pour mixture into pan. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Stand cake in pan for 5 minutes. Turn onto a wire rack.
5. Make jaffa icing: Place chocolate, cream and orange rind in a heatproof bowl over simmering water. Using a metal spoon, stir for 3 to 5 minutes or until smooth. Remove from heat. Refrigerate until thick.
6. Spread icing over cake. Top with shredded orange rind and serve.
More by this Author
A recipe for gold and silver marbled almond cake; includes full directions on how to make it, how to ice it and how to decorate the cake.
Want to learn how to make sponge cakes? Recipes for Victoria, chocolate, lemon, orange and honey sponge cakes are included.
Step-by-step directions for how to make choux pastry and shape it into eclairs or puffs. Pictures and a video help to illustrate each stage of the process.