Filipino Recipe - Embutido
Embutido is a traditional Filipino style meatloaf, wrapped in an aluminum foil and steamed. There are so many ingredients needed and preparation time to make this recipe, but once it is prepared and cooked it can be stored and freeze, it is the perfect dish for those unexpected guests.
- 1 kilo minced pork
- 3 raw eggs
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 cup raisin/sultana
- 1/2 cup sweet relish
- 1 cup sausage/hotdog, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 2 hard boiled eggs quartered
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
- 3 tbsp bread crumbs
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, combined all the ingredients except for the hard boiled eggs
- Mix well, until blended.
- Spread half of the mixture in an aluminum foil. (enough to make one roll)
- Arrange the hard boiled eggs on top.
- Roll the mixture over to form a jelly rod.
- Roll tightly and wrap in aluminum foil, seal both ends. Repeat with the remaining pork mixture. This can make 2 jelly roll depending on how big /small you want it.
- Place the roll in a steamer for one hour. Chill.
- Remove from wrapping before serving.
There are many ways to serve embutido:
- Serve as cold cuts -slice and decorate with tomatoes, cucumber or lettuce, run a small portion of tomato sauce on top.
- You can lightly pan fried the whole embutido then slice, serve with your favourite tomato sauce and eat it with boiled rice.
- Leftover embutido are ideal as sandwich filling.
Embutido is a common sight on the tables of Filipino families celebrating their fiestas, birthdays or any special occasions. It is also a popular dish for Christmas Noche Buena.
- Filipino Recipe - Chicken Pork Adobo
In the Philippines, Adobo is a style of cooking that uses vinegar, soy sauce and garlic. Adobo is popularly regarded as the Filipino national dish.
- Filipino Recipe- Kare-kare
Kare-kare or kari-kari is a popular Filipino dish. It is a Filipino version of the beef stew flavoured and thickened in a peanut - based sauce, with a variety of vegetables.
More by this Author
This hub talks about the differrent kinds of milk, an important component of our diet.
From apple to watermelon, an A- Z list of different fruits and some related facts. Lots of photos included!
Filipino proverbs, or salawikain, echo the values of the Philippines. The values and lessons they impart to us still hold truth to this day.