Flourless Chocolate Cake + Chocolate and Coconut Milk Glaze
Healthy and Original Chocolate Cake with Low Glycemic Index
A Chocolate Cake that does not Disregard Health
This is a fantastic version of the classic chocolate cake, very original and with a unique texture. I got the recipe from an Argentinian TV Chef called Juliana López May that focuses on good, wholesome, healthy food. She substitutes the wheat flour with mashed sweet potato and gives it a twist with the coconut milk chocolate glaze (rather than using the traditional cream). It is absolutely one of my favorites! I hope you try it.
Ingredients for the Flourless Chocolate Cake
4 Tablespoons cocoa powder
6 egg yolks
6 egg whites
13.5 ounces (100g) brown sugar
17.6 ounces (500g) mashed sweet potatoes
Step-by-Step to Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Whisk the egg yolks with the sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in the cacao powder.
- Add half the mashed sweet potatoes and beat until the batter is smooth; then add and mix the other half.
- Separately, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Fold into the batter one third of the egg whites with gentle movements; repeat with the other two thirds.
- Pour batter into pan and bake at 356°F (180°C) until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean (around 50 minutes, depending on your oven).
For more information on Glycemic Index go to:
Ingredients you can get at amazon.com to make your life easy!
For the Chocolate and Coconut Milk Glaze
7 ounces (200g) dark chocolate
100ml coconut milk
- Chop the dark chocolate.
- Warm up the coconut milk. Ounce it starts boiling remove from the fire and add the chocolate. Let it stand still for a few minutes and then mix. Mix every 5 minutes until the mixture gets cold.
- Cover up the cake with the glaze while it is still warm.
- Let it cool down and enjoy!!! (I like it better a bit chilled, you can try it both ways and see for yourself which one is better for you).
Nutritional Facts of Sweet Potatoes
Besides simple starches, sweet potatoes are rich in complex carbohydrates, dietary fiber, beta carotene (a vitamin An equivalent nutrient), vitamin C and vitamin B6 ranking much higher in nutritional value than the common potato.
If you want to see more recipes of Juliana López May visit elgourmet
For more Information on Sweet Potato go to:
Sweet Potato and Thyme Bread
More Sweet Potato Recipes
More by this Author
Butter cookies recipe filled with dulce de leche in a sandwich cookies style. Excellent recipe for gift cookies or gift desserts when you want to share.
The best carrot cake recipe for being healthy, rich in fiber and wholesome, unrefined ingredients, butter free, dairy free, moist, delicious and easy to make.
Halong Bay, a UNESCO World Heritage Site in Vietnam. Includes ancient grottos, Cat Ba National Park, map, and plenty of photographs.