jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

At What Age?

1. milleramanda53 profile image83
    milleramanda53posted 4 years ago

At what age should a child learn to cook his/ her own food?

1. Lady_E profile image82
      Lady_Eposted 4 years ago in reply to this

There's no set age as kids develop on different levels.
      Maybe at 6, they can make a slice of toast with jam? 
      At 8 - cook an egg without burning the house down?
      At 9/10 - Use a Microwave to warm food you've cooked and left in the fridge for them.  It  varies....  Good Question.

1. milleramanda53 profile image83
        milleramanda53posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks I actually started mine at the age 3 allowing them to help me in the kitchen while teaching them how to count my now 10 year old know how to cook a whole meal and my 4 year old is still learning the basics. I want my children to be as prepared as possible for adulthood and they will always need to eat.

2. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

I agree that it is a gradual process moving from observation to helping to simple meals and beyond.  They should all be able to cook when they "launch".

3. timorous profile image91
    timorousposted 4 years ago

Sure, you can start as soon as they seem moderately co-ordinated, and taking an interest in watching you making stuff in the kitchen. The more they learn to do on their own, the more self-sufficient and confident they become. It also helps to nurture a natural, healthy diet. Young people who didn't learn to cook as children, or have lived on snacks and junk food will continue this cycle. This tends to lead to health problems later on.
    It's best to get them started on the healthy path early. They'll thank you for it.

4. Mama Kim 8 profile image91
    Mama Kim 8posted 4 years ago

My son's about to turn 3 and he can get himself a bowl of cereal. He can heat things up in the microwave as well. However these things are done with complete supervision and he showed a ton of interest in cooking. I'm sure it depends on the child. My son happens to have OCD which is good for some cooking... and not so good for other cooking. Putting sprinkles on frosted cookies took an hour because he wouldn't let any fall onto the counter. Thankfully the more time we spend in the kitchen to more he's letting go of some of the compulsions.

5. Denise Handlon profile image89
    Denise Handlonposted 4 years ago

Have you watched any of the Kids Cook Mondays hubs and videos?   My kids started at age 7 helping in the kitchen and age 9 using the stove.   My grandkids (4 and 5 ) are actually in the kitchen helping mom once a week and doing great with handling equipment under supervision.  My 8 year old grandson has been cooking for about a year now.   Anything is possible with the right attitude, teaching and supervision.  My philosophy about parenting:  help them towards independence.

6. kathleenkat profile image91
    kathleenkatposted 4 years ago

Please teach your children how to cook.

I never learned to cook until I went to college; it was a CRASH course!!! My parents got divorced when I was very young, and we lived with dad, while mom moved out of state. Dad didn't know how to cook very well (he is actually a much better cook now than he was when I was a kid; guess he got practice, too). We ate a lot of mac & cheese and spaghetti O's. Dad would travel a lot, so we often microwaved TV dinners and such. Oh, and ramen noodles. Those were a must-have.

We did most of our "cooking" on our own, but it was mostly just microwave food. I think I turned out okay. Hmm.