jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (13 posts)

What do you use vinegar for in your home?

1. KevinTimothy profile image87
    KevinTimothyposted 4 years ago

Share some ways you use this stuff around your house or culinary.

2. TamCor profile image80
    TamCorposted 4 years ago

I use plain vinegar for cleaning my coffeemaker and tea maker out, plus I like to use it for cleaning windows and even floors.  I very seldom use it in cooking, lol.

I do like red wine vinegar mixed with olive oil--then sprinkled on subs when I make them.  smile

3. prettydarkhorse profile image64
    prettydarkhorseposted 4 years ago

I use vinegar for fish, to marinate it with black pepper little bit of salt and soy sauce!. You can put it in oven or fry it with canola oil

Vinegar is used also to cook fish with garlic and little bit of salt and little water.  Simmer it.

Vinegar in general is used to preserve food in general - like pickles - cucumber, mango or papaya

4. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 4 years ago

I agree with TamCor smile also use it in my laundry. My sons love that their 'work' clothes don't smell lol

KevinTimothyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Wow! Vinegar works that well against odors, huh? I will have to convince the wife.

5. Cardisa profile image90
    Cardisaposted 4 years ago

I use white cane vinegar for cleaning floors, windows, counter surfaces. I also use it for making sweet and sour sauces, cleansing meats and vegetables before cooking. I prefer red wine and balsamic vinegars for salad dressings, balsamic for cooking and apple cider for drinking.

6. kathleenkat profile image90
    kathleenkatposted 4 years ago

Fruit fly traps! Apple cider vinegar with some dish soap in it will trap tons of flies. Who said you kill more flies with honey than with vinegar?

Also good for first aid, helps with fungus related things.

KevinTimothyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

This is interesting. Maybe I'll give this a try the next time one of these huge Floridian house flies gets trapped on the house. So aggravating!!

7. loveforfood profile image61
    loveforfoodposted 4 years ago

I use vinegar for cooking and cleaning purposes.
    Uses of vinegar for cleaning.
    Takes out the dirt from the chimney
    To wash fruits: fill the sink with water and add a tea spoon of vinegar and put the fruits. Keep for an hour and wash with water.
    Takes out the stains from the carpet: In a sprinkler add a 5 tea spoon of vinegar and a tea spoon of soda and some water. Spray this water on the carpet and leave it for some time. Vacuum clean the carpet and it is fresh and dirt free again. If you don’t like the smell of vinegar then add some fragrance oil.
    I also use vinegar for cooking. I basically use for taste. I add in all my Chinese dishes and also Indian dishes like chicken tikka, chicken curry masala.

8. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago

I use vinegar to help keep my kitchen sink pipes clean. I heard this directly from a plumber. I add a bit of baking soda to that mixture occasionally too (there is such a Mr. Wizard reaction to mixing the two smile )

9. Thelma Alberts profile image83
    Thelma Albertsposted 4 years ago

I usually used vinegar for cleaning the glass windows and mirrors and sometimes for making sweet and sour sauce for my fried tuna fish.

10. starstream profile image76
    starstreamposted 4 years ago

Last night I used some red wine vinegar in a sauce for shrimp.  Our guest loved it.

11. Denise Handlon profile image89
    Denise Handlonposted 4 years ago

Brussel sprouts...I love to sprinkle it on the veggies after they are steamed.