Wine, Red or White?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (21 posts)
  1. MomsTreasureChest profile image85
    MomsTreasureChestposted 11 years ago

Do you prefer to drink red wine or white wine?
    http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7162025.jpg

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Definitely red.

2. Thelma Alberts profile image90
      Thelma Albertsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I prefer the red wine because it´s good for my heart and I can sleep well after drinking it. Of course I only drink it at night time before going to bed. If I drink it at day time, I need a pizza to eat. Weird!

3. denisemai profile image68
      denisemaiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Red. White wine makes me ill and gives me headaches. I wonder why? I dislike the sweetness of most white wines. For reds I like a good Oregon Pinot Noir, any merlot, syrah, malbec, blends ....ok all of them. My favorite is a blend out of a winery from Roseburg, OR--Palotai Winery. He makes a beautiful wine called Bulls Blood made from grapes brought over from his native country of Hungary. It's earthy and full bodied with hints of blackberry and spice. Yummy. My favorite wine hands down.

4. Midasfx profile image67
      Midasfxposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I prefer to drink white wine if I must choose red or white. But if I want to drink a bottle then I'll get a fresh bottle of rose/blush. When it come to a rose it must be fresh, not more than 1-2 years old, over $10 per bottle, and def not from a BOX. Haha.

1. Midasfx profile image67
        Midasfxposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Recently grilled some trout with oranges with some friends. Someone brought over a bottle of Moscato and we all thought they paired well.

2. Don Bobbitt profile image83
    Don Bobbittposted 11 years ago

Come on now! Don't forget those of us that frequent redneck bars.
    According to a gum-popping waitress in a Pub in Virginia, the choices are;
    RED, WHITE or PINK
    LOL

1. MomsTreasureChest profile image85
      MomsTreasureChestposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol...touché

3. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

Red, specially a well-oaked Rioja or a good rich Malbec. I also like Montepulciano d'Abruzzo and have found that some Cabernet Sauvignon from Bulgaria,which is designated by appellation, can be an excellent wine at a bargain price. There is also one particular Chilean brand, called Long Slim, which is very cheap and yet most enjoyable.

4. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 11 years ago

I love a good Merlot, but honestly, as I've gotten older I've found that it simply doesn't agree with me anymore. Even after just one or two glasses my head starts throbbing!

I'm the same...and it makes me very sleepy.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
        Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I still risk it though, from time to time. smile

5. howlermunkey profile image75
    howlermunkeyposted 11 years ago

I drink way more RED than White. I love just about any RED from Napa,  Cab Sav's mostly, but I also Like Australian Shiraz. (Mollydooker, Yellow Tail).
    Then of course the blends (Meritage), Red Zins (real Red Zins not pink -- Sin Zin, etc), ...
    Lately I've been going back to some of the inexpensive French Red's -- (Cotes du Rhone --- awesome and under 20 bucks -- but tannic (which I like) --  Chateaunauf-du-Pape --- which fyi, are not meant to be kept but drank right away -- awesome wines for under 20 bucks) 
    but, having said all that, I love a good Chardonnay at times. One of my all time favorite wines is Far Niente's Chardonnay(Napa Valley) I also enjoy some of the lighter whites, especially in the summer -- Caymus Conundrum is a great white wine usually around 30 bucks. PS I live in NH so I get great values, I rarely ever spend more than $20 bucks on a bottle these days. Perhaps when I hit 100 hubs I'll splurge wink

So to answer your question, I would say mostly Napa Red, some French Red, sometimes Australian shiraz, and sometimes Napa White.
    90 percent Red, 10 percent White.

6. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 11 years ago

Hmm.  I want white!  And the sweeter the better. 

Truth be told, though, I'm not a wine expert.  I just like sweet stuff.  I'd probably drink a bottle of Boone's Farm quicker than some classic vintage.

big_smile

I bet you would have liked Baby Duck smile

http://www.winesofcanada.com/babyduck.html

1. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That sounds like my kind of wine right there!  I'd hunt it down for sure if they still sold it.  smile

7. KStein2011 profile image61
    KStein2011posted 11 years ago

I love a good sweet red wine, not dessert sweet, just a little smile I also enjoy a good glass of Pino Grigio once in a while, but red is definitely my go to.

8. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 11 years ago

I know it was not one of the options but I like rose/pink. smile

9. MickiS profile image74
    MickiSposted 11 years ago

Depends on what I'm eating with it. Even the best red or best white will taste off if its paired with food that doesn't compliment the acidity, flavors, etc.

That said....white. There are plenty of flavorful and not sweet whites. I'm a huge fan of New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs, French Gewürztraminer, and Oregon pinot gris.

Red gives me a headache, but a good Oregon Pinot or inexpensive French Burgundy is worth it, though.

The french also produce some great rose (which unfortunately is difficult to get in the US because that damned white zin gave rose a bad name).

10. Gordon Hamilton profile image92
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 11 years ago

I always have to be cautious with wine debates as I actually have a very good friend who has a vineyard. My assertion that there are no good wines available that are produced in the Northern Hemisphere doesn't tend to go down well...

I honestly believe that all good wines come from south of the equator - namely and above all, Australia. For me, Australian red wines are the definitive red wines of the planet - bar none. South Africa and Chile also do have a few acceptable productions.

California is unquestionably the capital of the Northern Hemisphere's wine producing regions. There are a few from there that I quite like.

Unfortunately, I hate European wines - all of them. They're like vinegar. The unfortunate reality is that they are appreciated for their snob value, not their taste - but as most of us know, that is the European way. The guy next to you assures you it is exquisite, so it must be - not with me! smile French wine is great on chips with salt - never in a glass...

11. Denise Handlon profile image86
    Denise Handlonposted 11 years ago

Red  white upsets my stomach, although I will cook with white.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)