jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (16 posts)

Recipe picture for hubs...

1. Mom Kat profile image85
    Mom Katposted 4 years ago

I love to cook and I would have more recipe hubs up if I wasn't so self conscious about my kitchen.

When you look at recipe and cooking hubs, how important are pictures of:
    the finished product
    the steps
    the ingredients

I have a lot of kids and a messy hubby.  My counters, table, and stove are worse for the wear.  Posting pictures of what some might consider a messy or stained cooking environment might turn people off from the actual recipe being presented.

Presentation is important, isn't it?

So how do I get around this issue?  Is the condition of the cooking important when dealing with hub pictures?

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image91
      DzyMsLizzyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

"Reality Bytes" has some good ideas for backdrops--even a place mat or a couple of cork hot pads can help with the "finished" photos...or use a place stetting on the table--with tablecloth and/or place mats as needed.

Then, there is "litsabd's" idea of using a friend's house for the prep part.  Do you have a nearby friend or relative with what YOU think is a nicer looking kitchen, who would think of it as an adventure to collaborate with you on the preparation?  Of course, you'd share the end results...as "payment."  ;-)

I do a lot of close-ups with the macro setting to show things like pots boiling, or the finished dish on a plate. 

We photographers sometimes have to put ourselves in odd positions for the best shot--such as standing on a chair looking straight down at the dish... crop tightly when you take the photo, and you shouldn't have to crop it too much in the computer...if you have photoshop,  or a similar program, you can always paint out the background with a neutral contrasting color...so only what you are trying to show is highlighted.

Best wishes and have fun trying new tricks!  ;-)

Mom Katposted 4 years ago in reply to this

thanks, very helpful!

2. Reality Bytes profile image93
    Reality Bytesposted 4 years ago

I do not do recipes but I have ideas.  How about making a set, using a new tablecloth or something and setting up an area to take pics.  I am planning on doing some tutorial videos, I am in the process of creating a corner in my home for this, I will place a tapestry behind me, a desk in front, basically a movie set for filming.  I would think you could do the same sort of thing, perhaps even bringing the food outside for filming.   Think creatively, I am sure you can construct a nice set for your pics.  smile  Good luck.

I can do this for "finished product" pictures, yes...

I'm not sure I can do anything about pictures to capture the "how to" part.  Like If you're cooking on the stove, my stove looks terrible.  I've tried to take close ups and crop out as much as I can for different crafts that require cooking...
      Maybe I'm just being too self conscious. 
      Thanks for your advise

1. denisemai profile image89
        denisemaiposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I don't think the style of your kitchen matters as long as it's clean. If I'm doing a recipe hub, I make sure to wipe everything down beforehand. Also, you can take pictures at angles to avoid showing your stove or counters. I do that a lot. Use photoshop to dodge the background. That will put the focus on what you're doing rather than the environment.  The condition of the cooking area if it appears unsanitary could turn readers off but I doubt the design would. Good luck!

3. litsabd profile image86
    litsabdposted 4 years ago

You can use a friend's picture on " how to" or someones you are sure you can copy-paste from the internet smile

4. Hui (蕙) profile image58
    Hui (蕙)posted 4 years ago

The picture of the finished product always catches my eyes in the first place, because it can intrigue my interest or may not at all; secondly, I'd like to check the ingredients and picture all those stuff in head to see if there is something I really like or hate, or something difficult to get; then, I'll focus on step pictures with introductions step by step.

5. moonlake profile image90
    moonlakeposted 4 years ago

Very few of my recipe hubs show my kitchen in fact I'm not sure if any show it. I do everything in close ups. Including the cooking part. I use a white board that you can buy at Walmart to show items I'm cooking with. The finished product can also be put on this white board it shows up better. It takes a little moving around with the camera but you can get a good picture. My photos may not be great but they work for recipes.

fantastic... thanks, you're giving me hope smile

6. livewithrichard profile image85
    livewithrichardposted 4 years ago

When I read recipes, I'm only concerned with the final product.  I don't much care for images of the prep, the cook or anything else.  The final presentation is what attracts me to the recipe in the first place.  A small photo tent is a good idea, you can load it with light and display the presentation anyway you like to get the best results.

7. Denise Handlon profile image88
    Denise Handlonposted 4 years ago

I can relate to this problem.  I had to remind my nephew to stay focused on the food, when he videotaped one of my recipes.  Otherwise, I keep one counter or the edge of our table free for photo shots, and use the methods described already: place mats, towels, etc etc    It works out just fine.

Don't be too self conscious about it...you will miss posting some great material and we will miss out on reading your great recipes!  smile

Awww - may I just say that you are flat out awesome!
      Thanks Denise, you just made my night.

1. Denise Handlon profile image88
        Denise Handlonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Nice to know...but, what are you doing up so late?  or early, haha?

Well, I'm ... as my adoring hubby puts it "messed up like a hot soup sandwich" smile

I have adult ADHD and insomnia - typically I get about 4 hours a night.  I'll be turning in pretty soon.  Thanks for looking out for me big_smile

1. Denise Handlon profile image88
            Denise Handlonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Oh LOrd, God bless you!   My daughter insists I have adult ADHD , (haven't had it checked out yet), I too get insomnia (my old age I suppose...or my creative spirit???  smile  )  and I work midnight shift which has messed my sleep cycle up major!      Enjoy the rest of your eve and have a good 4 hr of shut eye  smile