jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (25 posts)

Eating raw food

1. Denise Handlon profile image89
    Denise Handlonposted 4 years ago

What is your favorite raw food to eat?

2. Denise Handlon profile image89
    Denise Handlonposted 4 years ago

Besides the usual: fresh fruits and vegetables; my favorite raw food is sushi.  What's yours?

3. kathleenkat profile image90
    kathleenkatposted 4 years ago

I also would have to say sushi!

Also, was surprised at the non-yuckyness of raw eggs in fruit smoothies!

Denise Handlonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

smile

4. Vellur profile image87
    Vellurposted 4 years ago

Carrots, beetroot onion and tomatoes are my favorite.

Hi vellur-thanks for sharing

5. Danette Watt profile image88
    Danette Wattposted 4 years ago

Celery, carrots, tomatoes (sun-kissed cherry tomatoes right off the vine - Yum!), recently tried sushi and that wasn't too bad.

My former yoga teacher was a raw foodist for a while - nothing was cooked, it was a pretty interesting diet. She was a vegetarian so raw meat wasn't an issue but she was only on it for less than a year. I think she quit it b/c her body wasn't handling it well. But I've heard of others who are.

Thanks Danette-yeah, love those sun-kissed cherry tomatoes!

6. Healthy Pursuits profile image89
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 4 years ago

Tomatoes and cucumbers fresh from the garden. And fruit smoothies. We have a lot of fantastic fruit in Oregon, and I take full advantage of it. I picked 10 quarts of wild blackberries this month, and 44 pounds of peaches!

WOW!  That's an awful lot of picking.  I love berries off the bush and peaches-YUM   I wrote a hub about making my very first peaches and pecan pie.    Oh, it was sooo good.     Tonight I used blackberries and raspberries in a dessert recipe that turned out just as delicious.  smile

7. Tusitala Tom profile image89
    Tusitala Tomposted 4 years ago

A warm, fresh apple that is so ripe it just comes off in your hand from the tree.  That would have to be an English apple from an English tree, of course.   I've eaten fresh apples grown in Australia and New Zealand (Have lived in the Southern Hemisphere since 1951) but have never tasted an apple as good as those I ate as a boy in England.

And what often added to the flavour was they were often apples stolen from someone else's orchard or garden.   'Scrumping' was the term we used for it.

I've not heard of this word: 'Scrumping' but I like it  smile    It sounds like a lovely activity, hee hee.   (I can just picture myself doing this).   A fresh picked apple sounds delicious.

8. healthy meals profile image89
    healthy mealsposted 4 years ago

All fruits and also I like carrots, grated carrots and tomatoes.

Two thumbs up!

9. Thelma Alberts profile image81
    Thelma Albertsposted 4 years ago

All fruits and tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, lettuce and sprout beans.

I don't do bean sprouts...upsets my stomach too much, but the rest sounds great.  I like to mix cukes, tomatoes and onion slices and marinade them in a vinegar and oil mixture.

10. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

Make sure those raw eggs are pasteurized!

11. GiblinGirl profile image87
    GiblinGirlposted 4 years ago

I'm super paranoid about eating anything raw other than fruits and veggies so I would have to say my favorite raw food is baby carrots.

I eat the baby carrots a lot at work when I want to munch on something.  smile

12. moneyfairy profile image63
    moneyfairyposted 4 years ago

I love baby carrots right from the garden just wipe off the dirt and eat and cucumbers raw...and golden delicious apples yumm

Oh, yeah...smile

13. Gordon Hamilton profile image97
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 4 years ago

Hi, Denise

I'm with you 100% on sushi but it has caused me so many problems over the years, it's unbelievable, as hardly anyone else I know likes it! sad

A big problem for me was the fact that my ex was allergic to all fish and seafood so I certainly couldn't eat sushi when she was around. Unfortunately, even many friends balked at the idea and most of my sushi eating experiences have actually been solo ones.

You may be interested in an experiment a fishing friend and I conducted just a few weeks ago. We had seen a very basic and down to Earth British celebrity chef (Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall) catching mackerel and eating them virtually live. We were on a mackerel fishing trip and decided to give it a go. There was no danger of contamination as we were fishing in pristine waters on a Scottish sea loch. (This is not recommended in more commercially frequented waters.)

We basically killed a mackerel, immediately filleted it and tried it. I ate a couple of pieces - my friend subtly disposed of his first piece. It had an almost "Earthy" taste to it. Definitely needed a bit of pepper and lemon juice but it was an interesting experiment anyway that I don't regret. You definitely don't get fresher, that's for sure!

Wow-how interesting, Gordon.  It definitely would be worth giving it a try.  Sorry to hear about the 'gastric' conflict between you and sushi.  It is so much fun to eat, although, lately I've actually just dipped the fish or what not into the wasabi sauce after knocking off the white rice.  I know it kind of defeats the whole purpose of the recipe but I sure don't need any extra starch like that. 

Cheers.  smile

14. LupitaRonquillo profile image82
    LupitaRonquilloposted 4 years ago

Spinach, grape tomatoes and cucumbers for salads and for raw juice, apples, cucumber ginger and lime!

Yum...sounds great.  Just had the grape tomatoes, with black and spanish olives as a side with my sea scallops tonight.  smile

working