jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

If you see a mold on your Cheddar what will you do?

  1. crystaleyes profile image82
    crystaleyesposted 4 years ago

    If you see a spot of mold in your Cheddar, you can cut it off and eat the rest or throw it all off... what would you do to ensure food safety?

    1. Mom Kat profile image86
      Mom Katposted 4 years ago in reply to this

      cheese is made from mold... just cut off the hard or green moldy parts & eat the rest.  It's all good.

      I'm not saying go digging in the garbage out behind the stores to find moldy cheese treasures you can bring home for your family...

      If the entire thing is covered in green, toss it out.  If just a small section has started a colony, cut it off ~ and then make sure you wrap it better next time.

    2. Hendrika profile image73
      Hendrikaposted 3 years ago in reply to this

      Mould on cheese is a very common occurrence and is mostly safe. One thing to keep note of, though is that mould on cheese is penicillin and can be a threat to people allergic to penicillin

  2. Thelma Alberts profile image82
    Thelma Albertsposted 3 years ago

    I have to throw it. I´m alergic to molds. Bad molds.

  3. chefsref profile image89
    chefsrefposted 3 years ago

    I trim off the mold and eat the rest, BUT, I find that if I store the cheese with a sugar cube it inhibits the mold longer than if just wrapped, don't know why.