jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Inventing Cookies...

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image92
    DzyMsLizzyposted 4 years ago

Hi, folks!

It's me again...the new-to-"no-salt" cook.. LOL

I am wondering, if trying to invent a cookie recipe, how do you know or decide whether it is baking powder or baking soda that should be used?  Thanks.

1. RTalloni profile image87
      RTalloniposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hi!
      I wanted to know the answer so I looked here,

http://www.joyofbaking.com/bakingsoda.html

and found it an interesting comparison of the two.

However, this site, http://allrecipes.com/howto/perfect-cookies/  has a good explanation of why it recommends baking powder.

Looking forward to seeing your invention…you will share, yes?  smile

DzyMsLizzyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I will share if it comes out well....  wink
        And thank you.  For some reason, I don't seem to have it 'down' about how to search, for I usually end up with frustrating page-fulls of irrelevant links...sad

2. 2uesday profile image87
    2uesdayposted 4 years ago

This page might be useful in the future as it explains the differences.  It also says that you can use one in place of the other but not the other way around. 

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/foodchemi … baking.htm

Good to know, 2uesday--thanks for that helpful link!

3. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 4 years ago

Standard baking powder/sodium contains sodium and therefore has to be taken into account in a low-salt diet.

Potassium-based substitutes are, however, available. One US brand of sodium-free baking powder is called Featherweight.

Oh, thanks, WriteAngled--
      I was wondering about that...having read the ingredient listings...
      Thanks very much for that information.

1. WriteAngled profile image91
        WriteAngledposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It's restricting the sodium part of a compound that is important with respect to low salt diets, so sodium bicarbonate and sodium carbonate count in the same way as sodium chloride. The substitutes to such things tend to be based on potassium compounds.

Potassium is actually the counterbalancing ion to sodium in a number of body processes. Some people suggest that taking in more potassium can actually help to negate the effects of some of the sodium intake, but I don't know whether or not such statements are clinically justified and supported by evidence from well-conducted scientific studies.

I did in the past try a salt substitute, called Lo-Salt, which uses potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride, after being nagged endlessly by a relative about my supposedly excessive salt consumption. To me, it tasted really bitter and not particularly salty and I wasn't able to make it part of my life. Bitterness is one of the most subjective taste sensations, though. I know a number of people who happily use Lo-Salt and claim not to notice any bitterness.

Incidentally, you might find the recipes you develop will make useful material for hubs or other web sites or even an ebook. "no salt recipes" and "salt-free recipes" look as if they could be useful key words, especially when applied to variant recipes for popular dishes, bread, etc.

working