jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)

Things That Go Well With Ham

1. jasonmstyles profile image61
    jasonmstylesposted 4 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7413662_f248.jpg
    This is a straight forward statement and I don't cook well. What are some good seasonings, sides, etc... that go well with ham. I have a couple pounds of ham and I do enjoy it, but I need some ideas to spice it up as I have no idea what to look to. I am also cooking this ham in a skillet, nothing that special, but I am open to ideas.

1. PaisleeGal profile image82
      PaisleeGalposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Ham is like butter in that almost anything goes with it. Breakfast, lunch or dinner fare. For lunch make a deli type sandwich on good bread, some lettuce, swish or smoky gouda cheese and good mayo and along with it nothing beats potato or pasta salad. For dinner serve it up with a little sweet hot mustard, a bake or steamed sweet potato, hefty green salad and some good Hawaiian sweet rolls. Of course for breakfast you can't go wrong by siring it very brown in a heavy skillet and a couple eggs cooked your favorite way and hot biscuits with honey.  I'm getting hungry.

2. Any Other Voice profile image61
      Any Other Voiceposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I LOVE eating sliced ham by itself in an Italian-esque meal (salads with a vinegar based dressing, whole MINI-potatoes, toasted mini pita bread rolls topped with butter) but it's good to have something to contrast it with its natural saltiness. FYI: Milk and meat don't usually mix!

jasonmstylesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Ha, I've tried milk and I agree. Potatoes would be really good too.

1. Any Other Voice profile image61

Specifically the little crunchy ones, they're incredibly easy to make, all you have to do is cook them and they taste fine by themselves! big_smile

I would assume, you slice them thin and just cook them till they are crispy. Would that be easier to do in the oven?

1. Any Other Voice profile image61

An easier way (in which little seasoning is needed) would be to just boil the mini-potatoes for fifteen minutes or so, they go fantastically with any other dish.

2. jasonmstyles profile image61
    jasonmstylesposted 4 years ago

You are also making me hungry. Good ideas. I will be using them. What seasonings would you suggest?

1. PaisleeGal profile image82
      PaisleeGalposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If the ham is smoked or spiral sliced just heat it quickly in the skillet. Or make a mix a little brown sugar with pineapple juice or cola & a dash of allspice to make a sauce. Cover the ham with sauce, wrap in foil and heat in oven until hot. You can also use that same sauce in skillet on top of stove ... add the sauce and reduce it over hot burner pretty quickly... watch out for hot splatters tho. Good luck!

3. rfmoran profile image91
    rfmoranposted 4 years ago

I'm fond of Coleman's English Mustard. It's powdered and you have to mix it with water. It is extremely spicy hot and goes great with ham.

I'm not a huge fan of mustard, but I think I can give this a try. I do like spicy food.

4. psycheskinner profile image79
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

A touch of sweetness like pineapple or apple sauce can be good too.

Would lemon be a good option too?

5. Angelique Newman profile image61
    Angelique Newmanposted 4 years ago

A mustard and brown sugar glaze is delicious on ham.  We use the classic French's yellow mustard.  It's super simple just mix the two ingredients in a bowl, spoon or brush the mixture over the ham after it's cooked and place open in oven for a few minutes and it's done.

As for a side dish, scalloped potatoes always went nicely with it.  I hope this helps.

1. 2uesday profile image87
      2uesdayposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That works well,  I have done a similar thing with honey and mustard that has the grains in it.

working