jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Teaspoons of Salt and Sugar - Front of Label

1. GmaGoldie profile image86
    GmaGoldieposted 3 years ago

I have to commend Coca Cola for now providing the number of calories boldly on the front of the label. Yet, I also wish to compare at a glance the number of teaspoons of salt and sugar that I am consuming.

I don't get it we have traffic signs that are universal, why is the food label not universal?

Would you buy a frozen entree with 80% of your daily allotment of salt?

Do you know what you are eating? Do you want to know what you are eating?

1. lady rain profile image87
      lady rainposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I always check the labels on every food item I buy because I have health issues. If the labels do not make any sense or look too complicated for me to understand, I just don't buy the items.

2. 2uesday profile image90
    2uesdayposted 3 years ago

There has been debate in the UK about the best way to label foods for consumers to be able to evaluate how healthy or unhealthy they are. The supermarkets and manufacturers have been doing it voluntarily maybe rather than be forced to use a system they do not like. The main ones used here are % or color codes like traffic lights - red being high in something like sugar. Colored pie charts smile are also used to convey the information.

1. GmaGoldie profile image86
      GmaGoldieposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I am a huge supporter of the company taking the initiative. There is no reason for everything to be a government mandate.

I am so glad to hear about this initiative. I am hesitant at the color codes because some items are simply high in sugar and we all know that but I would like to compare my indulgences but quite frankly the knowledge of the amount of sugar wouldn't deter me but might change my thought process and decisions over time. To me, I would value the food manufacturer more for disclosing it and that would build brand loyalty.

3. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

In the US there is a universal label "nutrition facts" on the back of every retailed processed product that gives ingredients in order of quantity, serving size as well as calories, fats, sodium, carbohydrates and protein.

It doesn't use teaspoons of refined salt/sugar because that is not always where the salt or sugar come from and different sources of refined salt and sugar give different values.

I find reading this table sufficient and don't need it dumbed down with some traffic light system, as that involves someone making assumptions about what I am looking for.