jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (12 posts)

Genetically Modified Foods

1. ThompsonPen profile image84
    ThompsonPenposted 4 years ago

I personally am quite against them. And I am horrified that they aren't required by law to be labelled. What do you think?

1. psycheskinner profile image81
      psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I personally am happy to eat them, but I still think they should be labelled

ThompsonPenposted 4 years ago in reply to this

How do you feel about their impact on the environment?

I am concerned about cross breeding with wild species, but happy that it can reduce application of pesticides.

what about the plants that are resistant to herbicides so that more can be applied?

Because the crop is resistent, you can apply less herbicide.  Because you can do it as they grow rather then wiping out everything in the soil before/after cropping.

if the crops are more resistant, that means more herbicides. They're to keep weeds from growing, so if they're more resistant then they don't have to be as gentle with the application of the plant poisons

Incorrect. The whole point of Round-Up-Ready etc is that you don't have to blast the field with herbicide before planting.  You can use a much smaller amount only as required knowing the crop will not be affected.  This is a net reduction in herbicide use.

2. profile image0
      Sarra Garrettposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Just means that more poisons are being put into our bodies.  I'm against them as well, unfortuantely try to find a veggie that isn't modified.

2. Lisa-In-Dyer profile image59
    Lisa-In-Dyerposted 4 years ago

This stuff really scares me.  I mostly eat organic.  But I can't afford to do it all the time. Apparently, to our government food is food, and so long as it doesn't kill laboratory mice then humans should gleefully eat it. I don't know who to trust anymore when it comes to who is monitoring our food production. Scary stuff going on out there.

3. paradigmsearch profile image84
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago
  4. Xenonlit profile image61
    Xenonlitposted 4 years ago

Here's the good news! They are labeled! Read this one. The codes are called PLU codes and they work in most major grocery stores. They are on those little sticky labels or on the stand where the item is located. Read more:

http://www.examiner.com/article/prop-37 … ed-produce

working