jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

What do you think?

1. Lindsey Shaffer profile image61
    Lindsey Shafferposted 3 years ago

Is a vegetarian eating a veggie burger comparable to an animal rights activist wearing fake fur?

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 3 years ago in reply to this

2. Lindsey Shaffer profile image61
      Lindsey Shafferposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Just a fun thought that came to me. I was wondering what sort of discussion, if any, it might generate.

3. Cook n Save Money profile image90
      Cook n Save Moneyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I've never quite thought of it that way, but can see how others may.   A "patty" is just a shape, really but I have sometimes wonder about things like vegan bacon.

4. Hui (蕙) profile image58
      Hui (蕙)posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I think a vegetarian is also an animal rights activist. Is it? But an animal rights activist is not necessarily a vegetarian. So, a vegetarian neither eat meat nor wear real fur!

2. iiimusicfreak27 profile image61
    iiimusicfreak27posted 3 years ago

I'm vegan and the way I see it, if it's fake it's okay. When I look for a good veggie burger I don't base it off of it tasting like 'the real deal'. As long as it's yummy and has nothing from an animal smile

3. 0
    Exflorationposted 3 years ago

I think in both cases those in question are simply enjoying what they enjoy in a way that fits into their belief system. I'm a "week-day vegetarian", meaning I eat meat only twice a week, or less. I've found it hard to switch over completely because, while I believe in the ethical and environmental aspects of vegetarianism, I still enjoy a nice piece of meat every once in awhile. People buying vegan bacon must be looking for a way to satisfy their cravings without violating their beliefs--though, sadly, most vegan meats I've tried just don't come close to the real thing. People wearing fake fur must think they look good in it.  But I never expect a veggie burger to taste like a real one--I just like them as they are!

1. A. Bove profile image79
      A. Boveposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Hello fellow weekday-er! I concur. smile

4. gts68 profile image65
    gts68posted 3 years ago

Cook n Save Money had a point. It's all in the name. If it was called a soy patty instead of a veggie burger there wouldn't be an issue.

ps. I get asked similar questions all the time by my meat-eating friends and family!

5. Lindsey Shaffer profile image61
    Lindsey Shafferposted 3 years ago

I like the different insights. I don't have a strong opinion for any position on this matter, but I do know that some animal rights activists are very against fake fur, while others think it's great.  A good friend of mine is a vegan, and she believes that fake fur is a way for someone to enjoy a certain look while causing no harm to animals. It also gives those who enjoy fur a more eco-friendly alternative. Other activists, however, claim that wearing any fur, real or fake, is making a fashion statement that suggests fur looks good and should be worn. Some observers might not be able to tell the difference between the fake and the real thing, and so to them, fur is just a fashion statement. I guess it could just be seen as negative encouragement to some extreme activists. And so, off of this debate, the concept of the veggie burger popped into my head, and I wondered if there was anyone out there who hated "fake burgers" like they hated fake fur.