jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

No Wiaters No Tips at Red Lobster

1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 3 years ago

It should read, "no waiter."..my dam typing skills are to blame.

Darden Restaurants' (DRI) Red Lobster seems to be testing the adage "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em."

Amid challenges from casual-dining chains such as Chipotle (CMG) and Panera Bread (PNRA), which offer no-tip counter service, Red Lobster is testing a new option that plays the same game.

The chain is trying two versions of what's called fast-casual dining, which is counter service that appeals to diners by cutting out the need for tips while delivering food faster than traditional sit-down restaurants.

Red Lobster calls the new service "Seaside Express" and is testing it in two locations near Orlando, Fla., from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily.
    http://money.msn.com/now/post.aspx?post … ad7018081a
    Well this could catch on,especially for budget conscious consumers.

2. bBerean profile image59
    bBereanposted 3 years ago

It is not just the budget conscious who will appreciate it.  Many folks find the whole gratuity conspiracy to be distasteful and offensive.  Servers, cooks, etc should be able to count on a reasonable wage and be held accountable for their performance via a review process like most workers.  Perhaps bonuses based on the success of the establishment would be appropriate. 

The ill will often generated by people feeling guilted into paying for good performance which should be a given, and by workers who feel they have been slighted, really adds an unpleasant tension to the dining experience.  Unfortunately all establishments would have to agree to adjust their menus to reflect actual costs instead of relying on gratuities to supplement artificially low prices which would not cover good wages.  Perhaps the effort you describe will at least get people thinking of better options.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image94
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I wrote a hub that is exactly what you say here...I think it's an outrage that restaurants (and other businesses) feel it is not their responsibility to pay their workers a fair wage and expect the public to do it for them.  Bravo!

3. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 3 years ago

I do not eat out at all now for two reasons. The first is that most places are not interested in making eating out a pleasant experience for someone on their own. The second is the expectation of tips.