jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

All you Hubbers with great dinner recipes for a teenager, help me out!

1. 0
    Casimiroposted 3 years ago

First of all, I can cook. I really can. :^)  But, my wife and I have fallen into traditional roles. She makes dinner 95% of the time, and I change the oil in the car, amongst other chores. Anyway, she's on a month-long trip to E. Europe, so I and my 14 y.o. son are on our own. My cooking repertoire is pretty damn limited, so I could really use some quicky, satisifying meal recipes to break up the culinary boredom.

Though I feel I can cook just about anything (I didn't say well you'll note), I'd prefer stuff that's fairly straightforward. We don't eat a lot of meat, so if meat is optional in your recipe, that's a plus. I'm not a picky eater but the boy doesn't like fresh tomatoes, any kind of mushroom, is allergic to citrus, and no stir-frys for him.

Send me your best shot! Thanks in advance!!

1. Aplethora23 profile image84
      Aplethora23posted 3 years ago in reply to this

It's funny that you mention this because I just made dinner with my teenage daughter (13) a few nights ago, and asked her to take the pictures for me while I made dinner. She got about half way through, set down the camera and said, "Mom Can I Try?"
      That was so awesome. So halfway through my Hub, the photographer switched from her to me as she finished making dinner for us. I love seeing my daughter sparking some passion in the kitchen with me, since I practically live in there! Here's my Hub - dinner made with my daughter. Enjoy and let me know what you think. I am kind of a rookie at Hub Pages, but definitely no rookie in the kitchen! smile http://aplethora23.hubpages.com/hub/Kid … Applesauce

2. 0
      Casimiroposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions!

1. Aplethora23 profile image84
        Aplethora23posted 3 years ago in reply to this

After reading closer, I realized that you posted the original question 5 weeks ago and that I am probably a bit late. Hope that your wife had a nice month long trip to Europe and I am happy to see that you and your son survived in the kitchen while she was gone! smile

1. 0
          Casimiroposted 3 years ago in reply to this

And for some reason, I missed the original replies until too late. Yes, we did manage to survive. wink I'll still try some of the ideas here, however.

2. To Start Again profile image84
    To Start Againposted 3 years ago

How about biscuit pizzas?
    Just get a tube (or two) of Grands Biscuits and flatten them out into small circles. Top with pizza sauce (I like Ragu traditional jarred sauce) and whatever cheese you like. You can also add veggies too. Bake at 350 for about 10 mins.

You can also make different kinds, too. BBQ chicken pizza, taco pizza-whatever kind you like smile

3. IzzyM profile image84
    IzzyMposted 3 years ago

As has been said, pizzas are quick and easy.
    Think also: roast chicken dinner, macaroni cheese, prawn salads, etc.
    Roasting a chicken for two is fun. On day one you get the full roast dish with veggies etc, day two can be cold chicken and salad, day 3 can be chicken curry. Not forgetting that the carcase can be boiled for soup stock which does another couple of meals (think lunches).
    Macaroni cheese is made even easier if you buy a ready made cheese sauce, but making one is simplicity itself.
    Prawn salads are delightful, because you can buy the prawns fresh or frozen, ready cooked. So all you need to do is add them to a seafood sauce (which you can buy ready-made) or make yourself by mixing up some ketchup with mayonnaise, some lemon juice and a bit of cream for luxury. Add salad leaves to suit.
    We are meat - eaters in our house, but plain, simple, comfortable cooking to us includes a lot of simple things like stews.