jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

How do you learn to cook?

1. IslandBites profile image87
    IslandBitesposted 3 years ago

Do you enjoy cooking? When and how did you learn? What is your best dish?

2. nArchuleta profile image93
    nArchuletaposted 3 years ago

I like cooking, though I don't like to come home from work and cook. I like to make meals that I can make on Sunday and supplement throughout the week. I learned a lot about cooking from my mother and from living abroad. When I lived abroad I'd ask people how to make the local food. (Hence the tajine!). I also have subscriptions to "Cooking Light" and "Food & Wine." I try recipes from them and adapt them -- I've learned a lot of techniques that way. I also go to any cooking demonstrations that come my way. What can I say -- I'm a foodie.

My best dish might be either the braised chicken or the tajine I shared on Hub Pages. I make a killer cassoulet, too. I haven't shared it yet because I haven't cooked it in awhile -- it takes two days to make!

IslandBitesposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I also learned a lot from my mom, but mostly from my grandma. Thanks for sharing. Will be waiting for that cassoulet recipe. :-)

3. JamiJay profile image90
    JamiJayposted 3 years ago

I learned how to cook from both of my parents. Since they were divorced when I was still very young I ate different meals at each house. My mom was the chili queen and my dad was the BBQ king. Now that I am older and live in my own apartment with my own family, I tend to teach myself new recipes and experiment heavily in the kitchen; some recipes come out delicious, better than I have eaten even out at expensive fancy restaurants, and some are terrible that I can barely choke down (that is what my boyfriend is for, he tends to be my garbage disposal since we hate waste). I love cooking pancakes and I have a large list of many different varieties of fabulous tasting pancakes (all made with different ingredients and all with different flavors, but all are amazing). I also love cooking seafood and I make a great seafood stir-fry (one of my personal favorites). Most of the time, since we live on a tight budget, I have to become creative and make something with all of the odds and ends in the fridge and pantry, but I have a natural talent for making good food, probably since my parents always encouraged me to cook when I was small and help in the kitchen. When I was young I used to make incredibly spicy chicken with cinnamon and that was always one of my immediate family's favorite when we were all growing up in the same house.

IslandBitesposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for sharing your story. It is nice that both your parents love to cook. The spicy cinnamon chicken recipe sounds interesting. I've only use cinnamon (not too much) to cook chicken in combination with orange.