jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Have You Ever Had Bacon Cheddar Scones?

1. crazyhorsesghost profile image86
    crazyhorsesghostposted 3 years ago

The question is have you ever had a Bacon Cheddar Scone?

What Is A Sone?

Its a traditional Scottish quick bread originally made with Scotch oats, cooked on a griddle, and cut into triangles. Modern versions are simular to rich biscuits and are usually made with flour and baked in the oven. Sometimes they are cut into rounds, squares, triangles, or diamond shapes. They can be savory or sweet.

Recipe For Bacon-Cheddar Scones

Bacon Cheddar Scones

1. One Cup White Granulated Sugar Divided.
    2. Two Cups All Purpose Plain Flour.
    3. One And One Half Tablespoons Baking Powder.
    4. One Teaspoon Ground Sea Salt.
    5. One Cup Cold Lard Cut Up In Very Small Pieces.
    6. One And One Half Cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese.
    7. Eight Slices Bacon Cooked Crisp And Crumbled.
    8. One Cup Whole Milk.
    9. Two Large Eggs.
    10. Baking Parchment Paper.
    11. One Half Cup Maple Syrup.

Instructions For Making Your Bacon Cheddar Scones

1. Start off by pre-heating your oven to 450 degrees. Stir together 1/2 cup of the sugar, the all purpose flour, and next three ingredients in a large bowl. Cut your lard into the flour with a couple of forks. Mix until crumbly.

Add your cheese and the bacon and mix well to combine. Whisk together your milk and eggs in a bowl and add to the flour mixture. Atir until all the ingredients get moist and a dough forms.

Drop your dough by 1/4 cupfuls onto parchment paper lined baking sheet. Whisk together remaining half cup of sugar and the maple syrup. Brush tops of dough with the syrup mixture.

Bake at 450 degrees for 10 - 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Don't over cook.

Please Post Your Comments, Tips, Or Questions

1. VVanNess profile image89
      VVanNessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

You are crazy. Lol This would make for another amazing Hub. Why post it as a forum instead? These look delicious by the way! Are you supposed to eat them with any kind of sauce or liquid? Like syrup, gravy or jam?

2. 0
    Beth37posted 3 years ago

crap, that looks good. Ive never cooked with lard... that just sounds weird, doesn't it? Walking into a store, "Scuse me, where can I find your lard?" lol
    Im hungry, can you make me one? smile

lol Lard is actually a very common ingredient in cooking. It's essentially shortening, but actually much healthier. Instead of man made cooking oils chocked full of harmful chemicals shown to cause cancer, lard is natural animal fat and very safe to cook with. You can find it in a tub similar to shortening in the cooking aisle at any grocery store.

1. 0
        Beth37posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I know it's still used quite often, but I have never tried it. I use olive oil or butter. I've only bought shortening once and I ended up letting it go bad. Not that it really matters, the scones look/sound wonderful.

Yes they do!

3. crazyhorsesghost profile image86
    crazyhorsesghostposted 3 years ago

I like posting some recipes in the recipe forum. The scones are delicious and if it was available in my area I would use a brand of shortening called Crisco. Its a great brand.