jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Convection Ovens?

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image91
    DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years ago

When we remodeled our kitchen back in 2007, the new double ovens came with one of them having the option of being used as a convection oven.

I've never used it that way.  Why?  I have no clue how.  I don't know anything at all about convection cooking, and the user manual is not very helpful.

What do I do with this?  How/why is it an advantage?   I have "heard" that it cuts cooking time--but by how much?  Enough to matter on the electric bill??

Any pointers much appreciated.

1. 0
      Beth37posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Well it's nice for not having to heat up your whole kitchen for smaller items.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image91
        DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

okay, but I've no idea HOW to use it--settings, etc....like how much time is the cooking reduced?  and how much less temperature...??
        The stupid instruction book only gives very general information, as if they expect you to already know how to use the technology you just bought brand new... Grrr

1. 0
          Beth37posted 3 years ago in reply to this

can you look up the name of the item, the brand and the word manual or instructions on google?

2. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 3 years ago

I've got a convection microwave in my RV, because there is no oven.  I can either microwave or use as a convection oven.  I cooked pizza in it once, and baked biscuits once as well. 

Wish I had a real oven...

3. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 3 years ago

Several years ago-- my sister got a range with a convection oven. She liked it. When she and her husband moved to Oregon she asked if I wanted it. I had kind of an economy stove at the time and I happily took hers. I did a lot more baking at that time and I LOVED it.. It cooked evenly and took a little less time for roasting, baking or cooking anything in the oven.
    I would like to have one again.
    Yes it takes a little less time-- and you get used to that, but the most important thing is that the cooking is even.  You don't have done and undone spots.  Your cookies are evenly done.
    OK--- again I liked it a lot, even though at the time I didn't think that it would be a big deal.