jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Holiday meals

1. Maddie Ruud profile image82
    Maddie Ruudposted 8 years ago

Do you all have traditional dishes you make every season?  What are you most looking forward to eating this holiday season?

I, personally, am a sucker for stuffing with apples (and even prunes!) in it, and a Scandinavian flatbread made out of mashed potatoes that I make with my dad every year called "lefse"... it's quite labor intensive, but sooooooo worth it.

2. livelonger profile image92
    livelongerposted 8 years ago

Sounds intriguing...I, uh, posted a request for the recipe smile

3. Maddie Ruud profile image82
    Maddie Ruudposted 8 years ago

I'm on it, livelonger.  I'm going to see if I can dig up my Great-Grandma Eva's original hand-written recipe card, handed down to my mother, to scan it as an illustration.  Her directions are more than a little ambiguous... if I recall correctly, she even instructs you to mix your ingredients to the consistency of "thick pea soup" and then to roll it out!  (Even if you don't bake regularly, you can see how ridiculously impossible that would be.)

4. mgwhite profile image55
    mgwhiteposted 8 years ago

This may seem unusual to a lot of people, but my family's Christmas Eve tradition is seafood gumbo. We are in south Alabama, on the Gulf of Mexico, so seafod is plentiful here. We've always gotten togehther on Christmas Eve for gumbo. My hubby is from New Orleans, so he was thrilled to discover this tradition in my family!

5. chef kim profile image59
    chef kimposted 8 years ago

I think it is quite fun to jazz it up a bit for the holidays.  I have a very picky son but he loves the traditional turkey and stuffing for Thanksgiving.  I am so bored with it so this year I'm taking spices I know he really likes and incorparating them in to the traditional fare.  He loves cajun so I'm doing a blackened turkey.  Pumpkin pie is the only pie he eats so I'm using fresh roasted pumpkin and added it to rissotto for a side dish.  Those are just a couple of ideas.  I'm still working on the rest of the side dishes and desserts. 
    Happy Thanksgiving,
    Chef Kim