jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs)

1. Vestanna profile image84
    Vestannaposted 23 months ago

Research has led me too some serious questions about the widespread use of genetically modified foods in the United States. What are your thoughts on this topic?  Are they healthy or unhealthy? Are they really improving crop yields?  If they're healthy why have so many countries banned them? Why are goods exported from America labeled differently or made with different ingredients?  Please share your thoughts. I'm very interested in learning more on the subject and I'd like to hear your opinions and any facts you might know.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 23 months ago in reply to this

There have no known releases unhealthy foods.  The have improved crop yields, sometimes by large amounts.  Fear.  Different than what?

2. Vestanna profile image84

I've read that some other countries require labeling if a product contains gmo ingredients and that isn't required in the United states. It seems a difficult challenge to get the facts straight on this issue because most information comes from sources with biases. Since some top USDA officials were once employed by the large seed companies their stance on the issue could be clouded. At the same time a lot of the folks who are anti GMO work for entities like natural news or are regular people making documentaries and are in it for a different kind of profit. What's the real story? What's the truth and how does an average person sort through it all?

3. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 23 months ago

The real story on what exactly? Like any nutrition issue there is data in the peer-reviewed scientific literature of various qualities.  But if you want 100% certainty we don't even have that on the effects of eating meat or vitamin C.  You have to make the best judgement you can. 

My judgement is that as almost all Americans eat GMO pulses and grains with no noticeable ill effects, and the top tier scientific literature has found not issues, I am happy to eat it.  But I still feel it should be labeled so people can choose for themselves.

4. Vestanna profile image84

Thank you, psyche. Are there any scientific articles that discuss GMOs that you would recommend?