jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)

Creative and Daring Recipe Substitutions

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image91
    DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years ago

Guess what I did the other day??

I was out of an ingredient, no time to run to store, so I made a very unorthodox substitution that I don't think many people would have thought of.  Many if not most would even say "Eeewww!"

But--it worked!  Here's the story:

I had a new recipe for a potato-cheddar soup, done in the crock pot.  I bought all the ingredients, but when I was already partway through the process, I realized I'd missed one ingredient:  It called for half-and-half.  I had none.
    What to do?  I could have used plain milk, but since hubby drinks skim milk, it wouldn't have added that same richness.  I thought about it for a while.  Then, a brilliant idea came to me.

Why not mix a little vanilla ice cream with the skim milk?  It should produce a similar result.  I called both of my daughters, and asked them what they thought.  As I suspected, they cried, "Eeww! No!"  Undeterred, I proceeded.  For a cup of half-and-half, I subbed in 1/4 cup of vanilla ice cream and 3/4 cup of skim milk, mixing it well so the ice cream was liquified. 

Whaddya know?  It worked!  No sweetness from the ice cream; no 'off' flavor. 

One of the girls actually suggested coffee creamer, but no--that would have been a bad off-taste, I think, since we use a non-dairy vanilla-flavored creamer.  It's very much sweeter and a much heavier vanilla flavor than the ice cream.

Moral of the story:  Never be afraid to experiment!  big_smile  lol

1. bravewarrior profile image94
      bravewarriorposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I think I would have used Greek yogurt instead of ice cream. But, hey - the proof is in the puddin', right?

That would make a great hub, actually. Some of my best recipes have come about through improvisation and imagination. Maybe you can write a hub about your experience.

DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I didn't have any yogurt, either.  LOL It was all about making do with what was on hand. 
        I'm not so sure this little incident is really hub-worthy, though; not much to it. wink

It is if you purposefully make odd-ball substitutions in recipes. You could really have something there, Lizzy. Start a trend and go viral with it!

You could really appeal to home cooks who can't afford fangdangled ingredients but would like to put a gourmet meal on the table. Just make sure the substitutes are healthy options.

BTW, I always keep Greek yogurt on hand. I use it instead of sour cream.

We only recently got paid, but did not get to do the grocery shopping, as we were away from home due to hubby having surgery..so it was a case of Mother Hubbard's Cupboard!  wink

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image91

LOL--I'm not sure ice cream was the healthiest option.  wink

2. tirelesstraveler profile image88
    tirelesstravelerposted 2 years ago

My Dear, I would have added more potato.  I can't do dairy so I use potatoes to thicken lots of things.
    I  truly love your creativity.

working