jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)

Love Affair with a Bread Knife - What Is Your Favorite Kitchen Tool?

1. 4FoodSafety profile image85
    4FoodSafetyposted 2 years ago

OK, I admit it I love food safety but cooking is not forte. I just finished insulating my attic with Roxul and put my bread knife to great use. Then Roxul gave me a free knife. I continued with my kitchen bread knife.

Since I do not cook often, the bread knife from the kitchen was not missed - I have to be honest.

The insulation is now complete and the bread knife has been cleaned and put away.

Until this morning.

When I went to cut up some bacon, I reached for my old friend who has been in my hand allot these past several weeks. You guessed it, I picked up the bread knife to cut the bacon.

To my amazement, the bread knife cut better than my many other sharp knives! Wow!

I am in love with my bread knife.

Is there a kitchen tool that you consider your old friend?

1. BarbaraCasey profile image81
      BarbaraCaseyposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Oh yes. I have a 25-year-old Leifheit jar opener that I couldn't do without. Even made a lens/hub about it.

4FoodSafetyposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Awesome! You are like me you don't wish to be dependent. The tools that help me where I never have to ask for help are my favorite.

2. ChristinS profile image94
    ChristinSposted 2 years ago

I love my mandolin - despite it's biting me back a couple of times - nothing slices more beautifully and quickly.

I have always wanted a mandolin. You have motivated me to take the plunge.
      Thank you!

3. lisavanvorst profile image78
    lisavanvorstposted 2 years ago

The food processor it does chopping, dicing, blending and more. I hate to cook, my husband does all the cooking, however he too uses the processor more than any other tool or appliance in the kitchen.

Wow! Mine has seen much more dust than use. When I use it everything become soup like.

4. Mark Ewbie profile image84
    Mark Ewbieposted 2 years ago

I just love my Rasta food container and couldn't manage without it.

Er.

You can put food in it and then when you get the munchies you can take it out again.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/12306881.jpg

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image94
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 2 years ago in reply to this

That's too high-tech for me, Mark.  Wow.  Scares me.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image84
        Mark Ewbieposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Buy two and practice on one till the lid breaks Marcy.  Then use the other one for hash cookies.

2. 4FoodSafety profile image85

I haven't seen that here in the US - made of silicon for storage? I love everything made of silicon - light and simple like me! smile

5. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image94
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 2 years ago

I use one certain paring knife almost every time I cook  Aside from that, my latest thing that might become a favorite is a floppy rubber pan or bowl cover (I don't even know what it's called).  It looks like a round, flat rubbery thing with a small handle on top, and you can seal a bowl with it or use it to cover a pan that's cooking on the stove or microwave. It's wonderful. 

Things I don't use as often but I thought I would (and everyone else swore they couldn't do without): 

KitchenAid Mixer - the way everyone raved about them, I thought it would change my life. Not yet, but hoping.

VitaMix - I had an early romance with it, but I don't use it that often now.

Oh, I purchased that floppy rubber thing for my Mother In Law and she never uses it and I want one!

working