jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

What are the most premium/gourmet cuts of meat for BBQing on a Kamado?

1. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 22 months ago

I'm thinking of making a very limited BBQ book for people that grill on Kamado style BBQs.

I'm thinking of including recipes for:
    Chicken Breast
    Salmon
    Halibut
    Tuna
    Pork Tenderloin
    Lamb Chops
    Baby Back Ribs
    Beef Ribs
    Filet Mignon
    Wagyu Beef
    Dry Aged Rib Eye

I didn't include classics like pulled pork and beef brisket because I thought they were on the margin.

What cuts would people like to see in a very limited gourmet bbq recipe book?

1. colorfulone profile image89
      colorfuloneposted 22 months ago in reply to this

Back Straps

2. Fiction Teller profile image61
      Fiction Tellerposted 22 months ago

Grass fed-and-finished beef in a steak or filet cut (it's popular and it's tougher than grain-fed).

3. Paul Edmondson profile image
      Paul Edmondsonposted 22 months ago

I respect the health benefits of grass fed beef, but I think the corn fed is a lot tastier. Do folks disagree?  Grass is more expensive so it's probably considered more premium....

I'm convinced I need a grass fed option. Thanks!

1. Fiction Teller profile image61
        Fiction Tellerposted 22 months ago in reply to this

I used to eat it a lot. These days, I like meat that's not aged, and almost all grass-fed beef on the market is aged. It's strong-tasting, certainly - more gamy. Some grass-fed beef is kind of fishy tasting ('cause of those omega 3s).

It's at about the same price point as organic and it's big with the low-carb, primal/paleo crowd, who are huge meat-eaters and probably make up a decent portion of your market.

One thing that's a challenge is cooking it without making it tough. If you can come up with a good cooking technique, you've probably got a good selling point.

4. CorneliaMladenova profile image80
      CorneliaMladenovaposted 22 months ago

Mackerel is fantastic when prepared on BBQ. The fish is itself is fatty, doesn't need additional oil and gets really fresh and juicy after BBQ treatment. smile

working