jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

I'm Planning to Deep Fry our Turkey

1. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 2 weeks ago

This year I'm planning to deep fry our turkey, I've selected a recipe that calls for brining the bird first. Curious if others have tried it and if they were happy with the result.

1. Ann810 profile image87
      Ann810posted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

I've always wanted to eat deep fried turkey. I've seen some YouTube videos on deep frying turkey, it looks interesting. But individuals that use those deep fryers for turkey might need to use special precaution for sure.

2. chefsref profile image90
    chefsrefposted 2 weeks ago

I haven't tried it because 1) when I've eaten some that others cooked it was all dried out and 2) It's very dangerous, if it boils over or spills you can have a major conflagration.

If you go ahead, please remember that oil and water dont mix. Your Turkey should be bone dry to drop it into grease. If you add a lot of water or brine to hot fat the liquid will boil and force the fat out of the pot.

I cook my Turkey upside down for about half the cooking time so juices move down and into the breast. Then flip to brown the skin.

3. Marisa Wright profile image92
    Marisa Wrightposted 2 weeks ago

I read "deep fried turkey" and quailed, it sounds so unhealthy.   A bit of Googling, though, and it looks as if it's no worse than oven roasting really.

My only concern would be safety.  After a friend of mine was left with life-threatening and disfiguring burns from a large pot of hot oil, I would not even contemplate having that amount of hot oil in my garden, especially if there are children in the family!  For the same reason, as this article points out, you have to hover over your frying turkey for the whole cooking period - you can't just sit down and enjoy your guests' company while it cooks like you do when it's oven-roasting.

http://archive.boston.com/lifestyle/foo … rade_offs/

4. SmartAndFun profile image91
    SmartAndFunposted 2 weeks ago

I've never cooked one that way, but I have eaten deep-fried turkey and it was really good. Very moist, even the breast meat. Honestly, though, it didn't taste any different from regular roasted turkey.

I live in Texas; frying turkey seems to be a somewhat popular thing here -- kind of a fun project for those who are so inclined. My brother-in-law usually fries his turkeys every year. I think he enjoys having a project in the backyard while his annoying relatives are inside the house, bickering.

5. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 2 weeks ago

Be really careful when you put it in, a lot of fires start that way.

6. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 12 days ago

The turkey turned out pretty good.  I was hoping to make an article out of all the research I did and the outcome, but I think my photos didn't turn out as well as I hoped.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 12 days ago in reply to this

So do another one for Xmas!  And New Years.  Until you get the pics you want.

Nice to hear it went well outside of the photos - I've thought about myself and my wife wants to try it as well.

But truthfully, the people at the table are what counts on those days, not writing an article even if it IS a hub from Paul! big_smile

working