jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

"Why does it taste so good to mix hot with cold foods?"

1. Joelle Burnette profile image85
    Joelle Burnetteposted 7 years ago

This question was offered by my very curious and observant son.

Some of our examples...
    *hot fudge over ice cream
    *hot, toasted bread with cold chicken salad
    *hot butternut squash soup with crème fraiche
    *cool, crisp salad with cooked steak or chicken
    *cooked fish with cool tarter sauce
    *hot sushi while sipping cool, unfiltered sake

What are some of your favorites and what's your theory behind this culinary phenomenon?

1. guidebaba profile image60
      guidebabaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

...and Chilled Beer with Hot Chicken Curry ! Yummy !

2. Raven King profile image60
    Raven Kingposted 7 years ago

My favorites. Frozen whipped cream over spicy apple pie,  sour cream over spicy Mexican food. The theme seems to be about opposites hot and cool. Hot excites the taste buds and the cool stops it from overloading so that we can do it again.

3. Maddie Ruud profile image82
    Maddie Ruudposted 7 years ago

Contrast is appealing, in food.  Think soft brie spread over a crispy cracker.  Gooey peanut butter on dry toast.  Salty, crunchy nuts with cold, bubbly, sweet soda.  It appeases more than one desire at once, and is thus more satisfying and appealing.

1. Joelle Burnette profile image85
      Joelle Burnetteposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Speaking of soft brie... have you ever tried the combination of "Cowgirls Mt. Tam" brie on Croccantini (by LaPanzanella) with Dalmatia fig spread on top? Yum!
      Or if you don't want sweet, exchange the fig spread for roasted garlic. Mmmm!

4. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 7 years ago

Roasted garlic and honey on brie is really good.

I like sour cream on a hot baked potato. Warm toasted bread with cool veggies. Apple pie a la mode. Hot french fries in cool honey mustard. Warm tortilla chips in cold salsa. Yum!

5. Lisa HW profile image83
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

Not that I ever got them, but remember McDonald's "Mc D,L,T" (or however it was spelled)?   They knew that keeping the cold stuff cold and the hot stuff hot made a better tasting sandwich, so they had some weird packing deal for it, to keep the cold stuff separate.   (and then it just disappeared, I guess)   smile

6. packerpack profile image59
    packerpackposted 7 years ago

Don't know the exact explanation to this but there is one thing that I have read and have noticed it myself too. That biscuits (sweet ones) will taste sweeter if you wet it even in water. It water with biscuit has some effect on our taste buds, I don't know exactly what