Ice Cream

Jump to Last Post 1-38 of 38 discussions (57 posts)
  1. spiderpam profile image74
    spiderpamposted 14 years ago

I'm originally from Brenham, Texas, sound familiar? Well it should, there is where (in my opinion) the best ice cream in the country is made, Blue Bell. My favorite flavor in their Homemade Vanilla. I know I'm bias, but I'm tried many a brands and nothing seems to come close. Any suggestions?

1. countrywomen profile image60
      countrywomenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There seem to be two distinct choices(people strongly like) as far as Ice creams is concerned those who like Vanilla and those who like Chocolate. Btw I like both. smile

spiderpamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I love vanilla the most, but on a weird day I really  like Buttered Pecan

2. ChrisSnil profile image61
      ChrisSnilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

With regards to flavour, it's gotta be either vanilla or strawberry cheesecake smile

As for the best made, you can't beat a bit of Cornish ice cream, it's really creamy and delicious on strawberries for a summer treat - gawd now I'm hungry for some (meant to be dieting big_smile)

3. nikki1 profile image61
      nikki1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

fat free kind.. gotta love chocolate.. thick and creamy.

4. K Partin profile image61
      K Partinposted 14 years agoin reply to this
    5. bearnmom profile image67
      bearnmomposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Here in Pennsylvania the very best, beyond all others, to die for, ice cream is made by the students at Penn State University.  They have their own dairy cows and make their own ice cream.  If you are ever in our area, you need to give it a try.

6. profile image0
      ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm kind of partial to my own home made Key Lime brand with a touch of Margarita in it. Two bonuses to it. LOL

7. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey there neighbor! I'm from Sugarland and Blue Bell Rules! I like alot of them some that come to mind are: Mint chip, Cinnamin, Milk choclate and Praline.

8. bearnmom profile image67
      bearnmomposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Here in Pennsylvania, Turkey Hill ice cream is pretty good and they make my favorite flavor, chocolate marshmallow.

9. manlypoetryman profile image79
      manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Brenham...I was just through there last weekend! My fav Blue Bell flavor...and there all good...is Pralines and Cream...and for the record...to everyone everywhere on the planet...Blue Bell invented "Cookies and Cream!"...and that's a known fact smile!

1. profile image0
        A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If they didn't invent it they perfected it!

2. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

The Best Ice Cream in New Zealand is a brand called Kiwi IC.
    What makes this the best is the use of real cream in blending.

Chocolate.. Devine
    Vanilla.... Devine
    Lemon Lime. Devine
    Caramel.... Devine
    Whoops Sorri ... where was I? yep sorri I was licking my screen!

OK Yep the Ice Cream tastses way better smile

1. profile image0
      Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LMAO Pearl you are too funny...

And Ice cream sounds good right now

3. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Blue bell is very good! My favorite type is mint chocolate chip smile The green kind, not the white!

spiderpamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So is my husband's in fact he had a pint last night:)

4. Laughing Mom profile image59
    Laughing Momposted 14 years ago

We have a BlueBell factory about 8 miles away in Broken Arrow, OK.  It's a popular place for field trips.  My husband took one of my daughter's once and they watched the guy packing the "Cookies and Cream" flavor, wipe his nose with his gloved hand before getting back to the assembly line.  Nasty! 
    But did you know that their motto is that they eat what they make and sell the rest?  All of the employees get as much free ice cream as they want.  It'd be a great deal for for anyone who is an ice cream lover.  Would have only been beneficial for me when I was pregnant.

Ben and Jerry's is good, but pretty expensive.

5. Nanny J.O.A.T. profile image68
    Nanny J.O.A.T.posted 14 years ago

Blue Bunny Banana SPlit - Strawberries and banana pieces in in vanilla ice cream - covered with chocolate sauce

or Cookie Dough - Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

Off to the Freezer!! It's hot and muggy today and that just sound too good!

6. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

Never had the good fortune to try that....... On holiday in Spain, I had a snicker ice cream, made in a shop.... I dont usually like ice cream but, my mouth is watering as I speak.

7. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I love blueberry.

8. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

My two ice cream favorites are Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey (banana ice cream with walnuts and chunks of chocolate) and Carvel's soft-serve pumpkin ice cream. YUM!

9. spiderpam profile image74
    spiderpamposted 14 years ago

I Like B&J Phish Food.

10. dipless profile image70
    diplessposted 14 years ago

B&J choclate fudge brownie for me "mmmm"

11. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

New Zealand Ice-Cream is by far the creamiest ,something to do with happy cows..smile
    Seriously ask anyone whose been there ,it is too die for!!!!
    Throw Cadburys into the mix and hellooooooo...

Death By Chocolate!! tongue  tongue

12. jenblacksheep profile image68
    jenblacksheepposted 14 years ago

I love B&J Cookie Dough, and Carte D'or Mascarpone! But nothing can beat Vanilla!

I generally hate chocolate ice cream ... am I weird?

13. Pete Maida profile image60
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

B&J Cherry Garcia is wonderful and I'll be a bigger man for eating it.

14. Teresa McGurk profile image60
    Teresa McGurkposted 14 years ago

B&J karamel Sutra

1. Lisa HW profile image64
      Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ooh - I agree on that one, although it's a "rare delicacy" for me. 

My general favorite is buttercrunch.

15. Jewels profile image82
    Jewelsposted 14 years ago

Licorice is yummmmmmmmm!

16. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Im beginning to bond with Baskin Robbins? and I think its called Tom n Jerry....
    Does anyone know if there is a Key Lime Pie Flavour out there, I think im developing a fetish for Key Lime..:)things

17. RedElf profile image90
    RedElfposted 14 years ago

Baskin Robbins is good, Laura Secord is better, Hagen Daas is amazing, but homemade is best...and the only kind is chocolate (except maybe homemade Key Lime or French Vanilla swirled with chocolate chunks).

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you posting a recipe hub for these? If not, we are all coming over for a 'tasting'.

1. nikki1 profile image61
        nikki1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You know it!!

18. Triplet Mom profile image67
    Triplet Momposted 14 years ago

I am not a Vanilla or Chocolate fan...I would rather have Pralines n Cream or Black Cherry.

19. torimari profile image66
    torimariposted 14 years ago

I like pumpkin ice cream by a local brand so I doubt you can get it there.

Dump the ice cream for a moment and traverse to Italy and have some gelato.

When I was in Jedosolo and Venice, I lived off the stuff and I am now disappointed with any ice cream I get.

Buuuut, if you can't book a flight to Italy immediately I'm sure some place has it around ya!

20. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Yeah, gelato is nice, and you actually don't have to travel to Italy, Trader Joe's sell it. I still like a good ice-cream more, the best I was able to find in US is Alden's.

1. torimari profile image66
      torimariposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Boolllooocks.

You need to go to Italy and get the authentic il gelato esperienza.

Non vi è altra alternativa.

21. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL As far as I am aware, no immediate plans to go there. I visited once, but it was more than 10 years back, and I really don't remember whether I tried the authentic gelato. And I don't know any Italian, may be except for Mama Mia, sorry smile

22. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

Homemade hand churned peach ice cream. Hands down the best.

1. profile image0
      Aquaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yum...that does sound good. smile I'm enjoying some strawberry banana fro-you right now and that's pretty good too!

23. sunstreeks profile image81
    sunstreeksposted 14 years ago

Tillamook Mudslide is AMAZING!

Chocolate ice cream, fudge ripple, and this fudge hard pieces that melts in your mouth. I think it may be a west coast thing (Tillamook is in Oregon) but its great stuff.

24. europewalker profile image80
    europewalkerposted 14 years ago

Mocha Madness / Blue Bell

25. profile image0
    reconciled heartposted 14 years ago

I'm a B&J fan--NY Chocolate Fudge Chunk (do they still make that? Can't find it lately) is great!  Also, my mom's homemade strawberry ice cream just can't be beat.  I think I'll give her a call...

1. BJC profile image69
      BJCposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Girl after my own heart here:)

26. pddm67 profile image60
    pddm67posted 14 years ago

My 2 favorites - Breyer's Vanilla and Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey. Yum...I want ice cream now.

27. BJC profile image69
    BJCposted 14 years ago

Now I'm drooling..........  anything with fudge, nuts, and chunks in.  On occasion I love strawberry but it has to have the chunks in.  Not sure what that says about me...........  probably don't want to know smile

28. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

I third the B&J NY Choc Fudge Chunk. With HD I only like Swiss Vanilla Almond.  With Breyer's I love Butter Almond Ice Cream.  Otherwise, I don't really buy it.

29. profile image0
    Louidam1posted 14 years ago

We have Blue Bell ice cream out here in Georgia as well.  What is also popluar is Mayfield.  My favorite flavor is rainbow sherbet and cookie dough!!

30. The Rope profile image61
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

I'm a Mayfield girl, myself but I haven't had it in years.  I had just realized they were opening up our market because I had just seen the trucks beginning to saturate the area and the ads started showing but poof! they were gone and in their place Blue Bell ice cream was everywhere.  Now please understand I think Blue Bell is excellent but Mayfield has it beat in my book.  Guess their marketing department isn't as powerful as Blue Bell's.  My best friend is a food scientist and sensory analyst, he tells me that ice cream falls into two basic categories - those with lot of air and those that are very dense.  Usually people's tastes fall into one or the other and don't cross over.  So next time you buy your favorite check it out - per my friend, you'll be happier sticking with your own chosen type - no matter what the flavor.

31. Jenny30 profile image62
    Jenny30posted 14 years ago

mmmmm I love ice cream. My fav has to be Vanillia. However I do love the resses pieces blizzard they make in my hometown!!!! smile

32. dohn121 profile image82
    dohn121posted 14 years ago

Green Tea ice cream is one of my favorites smile

33. Teranika profile image59
    Teranikaposted 14 years ago

I recently moved to Oklahoma where I can also buy Blue Bell ice cream, I have fallen in love with their Vanilla Bean ice cream.  I love the texture, how it's not too creamy and the intense vanilla flavor.  It makes some of the best milkshakes also!

34. CoffeeAddict profile image60
    CoffeeAddictposted 14 years ago

I love the ice cream at Halo Pub. My fave place is at Princeton, NJ.

35. Purple Perl profile image49
    Purple Perlposted 14 years ago

Mango Icecream, anyone? smile

36. prettydarkhorse profile image55
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

Ben and Jerrys, triple caramel crunch

37. NaomiR profile image75
    NaomiRposted 14 years ago

I love Ben & Jerry's, as well. I'm pretty old school as my favorite flavor is the cookie dough. I don't like when they add too many ingredients.

38. profile image49
    Wisco99posted 14 years ago

I cannot seem to find my favorite "Rassberry Ripple" anywhere?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)