jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

The best meal - ever! (If you love salmon)

1. girly_girl09 profile image80
    girly_girl09posted 7 years ago

The other day I was craving salmon, so I went to the store and got an awesome huge, fresh fillet. I googled "salmon recipe" online and found this recipe by Gordon Ramsay for Crispy Salmon.

Here is the link. You will thank me later. big_smile

Also, here is what I did differently from Gordon (I love to put my on twists on recipes!):

I did not put crab meat in the potatoes.
    I minced some vidalia onions, sautéed them and then mixed them in with the potatoes instead of using green onions.
    Instead of peeling regular potatoes, I used purple potatoes and red potatoes and left the skin on (much tastier and visually appealing!)
    For the vinaigrette, I used olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, water and some herbed salt.
    When preparing the salmon, I used marjoram 'between the slits'.
    Instead of baking tomatoes, I sautéed some sliced sundried tomatoes and used those instead.

It created a much more beautiful presentation than Gordon's, I think. smile I wish my blackberry would properly send pictures so I could post the pic on here. It look delicious and tasted even better! I had this meal for lunch and dinner yesterday. lol

2. LondonGirl profile image90
    LondonGirlposted 7 years ago

Sounds lovely.

My mother does an amazingly nice salmon with lime, lemon and spring onions.

3. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

The best salmon is raw. Yet my wife fries it with white wine, managing to not make it dry. This would be the second best for me smile

1. countrywomen profile image77
      countrywomenposted 7 years ago in reply to this

WOW!! You are a "cave man" (and I mean that in a nice way). smile

2. earnestshub profile image88
      earnestshubposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I agree Misha, the only proviso being that it has to be the best salmon if it is raw.

3. girly_girl09 profile image80
      girly_girl09posted 7 years ago in reply to this

I cook mine medium so it's bit raw, yet hot in the middle. Other than that, I don't like the texture. I love the taste of lox, bot not the texture!

Does she just use white wine? That would definitely be a nice flavor combination....I might try that!

4. Beth100 profile image84
    Beth100posted 7 years ago

A fresh catch raw is, by all means, the best.  For those who can't get it right out of the river, then try a marinate of olive oil, sweet basil, lemon, salt and pepper.  I bake this covered in the oven and even sometimes pan fry it.

1. girly_girl09 profile image80
      girly_girl09posted 7 years ago in reply to this

So true.

I once bought some frozen salmon portions for convenience as I eat a lot of salmon and they were individually wrapped....but, I found that frozen salmon is just plain NASTY. lol It is way too fishy tasting/smelling. Plus, it has no skin and the health benefits of the omega 3's are greatly reduced.

5. kmackey32 profile image81
    kmackey32posted 7 years ago

eeeew I don't like salmon!!