How to gain weight and muscle?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (51 posts)
  1. JonTutor profile image61
    JonTutorposted 14 years ago

I'm not kidding... everybody has a problem losing weight... but I have never crossed 148 pounds.... I'm 6 ft but only 142 pounds... I drink/eat everything... no effect.... I'm healthy... I can run 5 miles without breaking a sweat.... Just can't lift weights.... I wanna look great.... any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

1. Drew Breezzy profile image63
      Drew Breezzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you can't lift weight? or can't lift a lot?

Start lifting weights. The weigh does not matter, what matters is you using the the weight correctly. After time you can slowly increase the weights you use. I hear protein shakes help.

1. beautyrose profile image59
        beautyroseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Whey protein helps muscle build.

JonTutorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I tried whey protein... not much improvement.... I gained 2 pounds over 2 months. smile

2. Eaglekiwi profile image75
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Metabolism and youth -I hate you  lol j/k

@Eaglekiwi You look young too.... What's your secret? ..... Are you like the Chinese women... in 40's look like 20's?  smile

3. tksensei profile image59
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What do you mean you can't lift weights?

4. emievil profile image67
      emievilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would love to trade places with you and have your problem. LOL j/k. Seriously are you sure you want to gain weight? My brother was like you, same height, same weight. He went on what he call carbo-loading (carbohydrates) and weight-lifting. Unfortunately, he slackened on the weight-lifting (I think). In less than a year, he went from tall and thin to tall and chubby smile.

5. soni2006 profile image76
      soni2006posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jon, I have been writing hubs on bodybuilding and weight training for the last two years and you can go through my latest hub regarding the same info you are looking for:  How to gain muscle:  http://hubpages.com/hub/Bodybuilding-questions

Best of luck.

6. melbel profile image93
      melbelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am the same way. I was only heavy at one point of my life and it was because of a medication I was taking. When I was off the medication, my weight went back to my normal 115. I have no upper body strength, though. I have recently started going for really long walks in order to tone my legs. I am hoping that I can eventually tone my belly which would be nice.

7. thriftychicks profile image59
      thriftychicksposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hello.  I'm heavily involved with tennis.  I have always been active.  During the past 3 years I've tried building muscle mass.  I succeeded the first year by drinking a large shake in the mornings and mid days with two cups of vanilla soy powder. This along with an amped up protein intake. I suggest this only for 6 months. 

After 5-6 months, cut off the shake completely and start eating low fat cheese, yogurt, milk, icecream, lean meats, nuts, soybeans (fresh) peas, veggies,and fruits.  I've kept a diet of loaded dairy, nuts, and veggies in the morning and late evening...and only eating carbs at breakfast so that it can break down in time for my work out.  I go light on the carbs, and high on the protein.  I'm vegetarian...and have only done dairy, nuts, fruits and veggies, and have managed to gain a good 10-15 pounds less than one year this way in muscle. ~ Good luck!

8. awsydney profile image60
      awsydneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I had the same problem, although I'm guessing I'm a lot older than you. High protein and low carb diet. Lots of chicken, fish and red meat in moderation and do more weights. I eat my fish recipe 3 times a week. Check it out.

2. darkside profile image63
    darksideposted 14 years ago

If you can't lift weights then I can't see how you're going to get any muscle gain.

Or if it's a case of "I can't lift heavy weights" then don't. Start with something you can handle. Build your strength, the muscle growth will come according to effort and genetic disposition.

I have stamina... not much strength.... I joined Gym for 2 months... but couldn't lift heavy weights.... you could be right about my genetic disposition.... what do you think about steroids? smile

3. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

No need for steroids you lucky boy! Here's what you do. Lift small weights and slowly increase as you are able, and nudge it a bit, or just do static exercises, like pushing and pulling one arm with the other. I know your build. very hard to get big, and hard on your heart if you do. You want that super strong wiry look that the girls adore on a frame like yours. I had a friend built just like you who worked like a dog from an early age. He stayed skinny as a youth, but was stronger than anyone I knew at the time. Work it, lightly at first, you will probably not even need more food. You should be able to get good muscle distinction and very nice muscles, as my friend did when he matured a bit. Just don't expect to get big. Hopefully you never will. smile

4. JonTutor profile image61

@Earnestshub I'm matured... gonna be 21 this Nov.... Body builders/athletes take steroids... not sure... how safe?..... all those guys around lifting heavy weights.... I wanna look like them...  I wanna have good biceps, shoulders, chest.... I eat like a pig... dunno why I don't gain weight...  I wanna look great. smile

1. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

John, I would be surprised if you could look like a big bodybuilder from what you have said. You are obviously fit, so you can build as much as you like, but it will take a lot of effort, and may I suggest that if you are fit you already look good! Steroids shorten many athletes lives, as you exceed your natural levels of testosterone and estrogen you will pay for it in kidney and liver damage amongst other health problems, i would not risk it. I am a lot older than you and have lost two friends who took a lot of steroids, both too young to die. my mate David was only 47 and Rene died at 57. both bodybuilders when younger.
      You need to build muscle evenly, so if you are lifting weights, hard physical work is a great adjunct to gym work. We have so many little muscles that rely on the full range of movement to develop. These small muscles look fantastic, and will support you to increase your bigger muscle size as they increase strength substantially allowing you to lift more. I never bother with gyms anymore, i can find enough things in my home to use as weights!
      if you really believe you want to stack it on, you will have to go at it with high protein diet hard workouts and a one day break in between to clear all the acid left in your system by the hard exercise. if you don't take breaks of a day in between hard workouts your muscles will not grow nearly as fast.You can buy protein especially designed to gain muscle. swimming is a good wind down too, and helps develop  the body's smooth muscles. I can tell you that six months digging ditches is not half bad either. When I was boxing, it was the hard labor that gave me the extra stamina to go the distance. (3 x 3 minute rounds seems like a week if your in the ring with a heavy hitter smile ... and if you can work your muscles until they "sting like hell" you will see much quicker growth than if you don't push the pain barrier. I only boxed for my youth club. I did not lose a fight. I could not be stopped easily because of small muscle tone from my work .... makes you move a lot faster and hit a lot harder.My name is Ernest by the way, you may call me Ern. smile

5. JonTutor profile image61

Thanks Ernest..... Very good advice... I'm gonna stay away from steroids. smile

1. AsherKade profile image59
      AsherKadeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Judging from your pic you look awfully young...some of the difficulty will go away with maturity....then you will be middle aged like me and unable to keep the weight off! Good thing is you're a good looking guy...
      http://imgtn1.ask.com/ts?t=3393310241810395011&pid=23057&ppid=19

I'm not that young... I'm gonna be 21 this Nov.... Thanks for the compliment. smile

1. AsherKade profile image59
          AsherKadeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you're a baby compared to me...
          smile

2. 888royale profile image60
      888royaleposted 14 years agoin reply to this

better stay away from steroids...It does not help you build muscles, instead it causes water retention in some parts of the body. Some develops moon face or humps at the back of the nape.

1. tksensei profile image59

Yes it does. The reasons to stay away from steriods do not include their effectiveness.

6. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

Hey Jon, check out my hub on the P90X system or do a youtube search for P90X results.  This is a fantastic body reconditioning system that is part diet and part exercise.  No need of supplements or gym memberships...lol this sounds like a sales pitch but I use it myself and have had great results.

I have my 14 year old nephew on it and in just a few weeks in he has gained muscle mass as well as body mass.  He was 102 lbs and now he's up to 119.  He was so sick of being the skinny kid at school and when school starts up again in a few weeks his classmates are going to see a different kid (at least on the outside)

Gonna check out your hub... Thanks Richard. smile

7. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Yeah avoid the juice. "They make the jewels shrivel up like sun-dried tomatoes."
    Have you ever watched "The Man Who's Arm Exploded"? I'm sure it's on YouTube.

I would try resistance training like everyone else has suggested. Like Richard said, I've also heard of success with the P90X system. Just keep increasing the weight slowly. What do you eat? Avoid junk food, increase protein and carb intake. Everyone's body is different. smile

Hey Colebabie I did not recommend training!You got it right with the juice, and as far as equipment goes, house bricks are good!

1. Colebabie profile image60
        Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Training, exercising, lifting weights, same thing. I go to the gym in my complex, but home equipment and things lying around the house work just as well smile

Yes they do work don't they?
          As a kid i worked very hard from an early age... that works too.

I work 60+ hours a week... gotta squeeze something ..... I pretty much eat anything.... including junk food....  I went to gym for 2 months... no results ... then due to my exams I had to take a break..... didn't renew my membership ... Thanks Ernest/Colebabie ... I gotta learn no pain no gain. smile

8. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Heres my problem , I walk  ,alot! no car no choice

But now Ive lost weight (some) and my legs are musclely ,yuk , I dont like all that muscle.

Its turned the fat into muscle, legs n bum great , belly -still jelly. Please dont say sit ups n crunches , isnt there something else?? smile

9. mayhmong profile image75
    mayhmongposted 14 years ago

You are more motivated than I am! Not sure if I can give you any advice other than just petal to the metal!

10. dohn121 profile image82
    dohn121posted 14 years ago

Oh, I know!  Have car problems, not have public transportation and walk EVERYWHERE! (This is exactly how I lost 25 pounds, BTW. Beats paying for a gym membership.tongue)

11. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

You can use lighter weights -- just do more repetitions of whatever type of lifting you are doing. So if you were using a 20 lob weight you might do 3 sets of 5 reps, but if you're doing 5 or 10lb weights, you'd do 3 sets of 10 or 15 reps. (Used to be married to a competitive body-builder.)

Use household items. When I am unloading groceries, I take the gallon of milk and do some exercises with it before putting it in the fridge. Have a baby? I've got great exercises where the baby is the weight. No kidding. And babies get a kick out of it!

That's what I did last year... lighter weights more reps.... just didn't work for me... maybe I'm too impatient for results. lol

Gotta go till it hurts Jon. Maybe you need a beautiful young lady in tow. Great motivation! smile

My GF looks perfect.. more ever she is always busy with school..  very difficult for us to sync.... even she works 2 PT jobs... but there're other hot chicks in Gym ... now don't tell my GF. lol

Jon, I am not suggesting you cheat smile Does your girlfriend like sport or exercising? Bike rides, swimming, all good. Have you considered using your girlfriend as a weight? smile

I was just kidding... eye candy "Great Motivation"... we do take bike rides sometimes... she is about 130 pounds but only 5' 6"... that makes me look much more thin besides her..... I can barely lift her. smile

1. profile image0
                Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would not worry about it, JonTutor.  ...I think many guys don't really start to put on weight/muscle, etc. until their late 20's.  You are actually lucky--your types have a tendency, I think, to look good for a long time while other guys move past their prime much earlier, smile.

You might try some pull ups.  That's what my bf has his string bean 15 year old do, to begin with, to build upper body strength...then move on to weights a little later.

2. darkside profile image63
        darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How long did you do it for?

12. expectus profile image73
    expectusposted 14 years ago

I was pretty much in your situation a while ago quite tall and weighed nothing.

and I ended up putting on a lot of fat going mad with my carbohydrates for breakfast I would have like 1kg of pasta and 3-4 roast potatoes. but yeaa it was pretty much useless had to loose the fat I had put on.

you say you eat like a horse but don't put on weight. does this mean you eat tons throughout the day or just at set times breakfast, lunch , dinner.

the key for me was to eat medium sized meals every 2-3 hours and hit the gym:) good luck

Gonna join gym from next month... Last year got sport pharma whey protein.. but used  it for only 2 months. ... I get a complex... all those guys lifting heavy weights around me.... but hey no pain no gain. smile

13. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

With all physical activity, proper nutrition is key.  To build muscle mass, you must do weight bearing excercises.  Reps are important per set.  At 8 reps, it builds muscle.  At 10 reps, it builds power.  At 12 reps, it builds strength.  At 15 reps, it builds conditioning.  Should be done in set of 3 with 60 seconds between each set.  Form is essential or you will not work the proper muscles and their respective groups.

That is far too categorical.

1. Beth100 profile image69
        Beth100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps for you.  As a personal trainer, it is imperative to understand and to explain to clients how each movement affects their body, whether it will help them reach their goal or inhibit it. Each rep has to be done in proper form for it to work the muscles or the target will not be met.  Anyone who has participated in a weight training program under proper guidance will have received this advice.  Those who go to the gym and lift weights without being properly informed will, eventually, hurt their own bodies.

For anyone. It would depend on how much weight is being used and many factors relating to the individual involved at the very least.

1. soni2006 profile image76
            soni2006posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes. I agree with you.

14. Michele Arrvinte profile image61
    Michele Arrvinteposted 14 years ago

Bike rides, jogging and any other aerobic exercises will lead to, loosing weight and not gaining it.

If you want to gain some muscle weight you should stop jogging and swimming for a month and do only anaerobic exercises with heavy weights.

By heavy weights I mean the weight that you can lift no more than 8 times.
    You should lift such weight 8 times and repeat this exercise 3+ times then switch to another exercise.

You should program your exercises so that you train only 2 groups of muscles during a workout.

For example one time you work only on biceps and back muscles.
    The next time you work on your legs and shoulders and so on.
    3 workouts per week is ok. You muscles will have one week to grow till your next workout.

Also you should eat more calories than you spend. Believe me you can gain weight on vegan diet.
    I don't advice steroids and such because you will end up with health problems.

15. JonTutor profile image61

Cool advice.... Thanks folks. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)