God I Love Texas Choices for Food!

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (81 posts)
  1. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

Right now...I'm enjoying fresh cold boiled shrimp out of the Gulf of Mexico...If I'd wanted...it could have just as easily been cold boiled crawfish! I had a very Americanized Tex-mex lunch...guacomole, pico de gallo, puffed-up chile con queso, with a Beef Taco. (I like to mix 'em all up together on the plate.) I had two breakfast tacos from an authentic Mexican Taquaria  this morning...with egg and chorizo...complimented by two "Shipley" donuts (I know...I hate to think of how my cholesteral level fared by nightfall...!). And, the neighbors are Bar B Q-ing Brisket for the Weekend...the backyard smells great! HHHMMM...wonder what I can take over to them to be offered a few slices of that brisket? Well...that concludes my day of eating the local cuisines...How about you and your favorite local foods?

2. gracenotes profile image90
    gracenotesposted 14 years ago

Lifelong Texan here.
    Right now, I am enjoying the hatch chiles which are being offered for sale everywhere.  Lots of vendors make special trips to Hatch, New Mexico to get these.  I really like the mild chiles in scrambled eggs and the like.
    There is a green salsa made fresh down the street, and I absolutely love it in a variety of dishes, but I also make my own fresh salsa out of lime juice, jalapenos, garlic, and stewed tomatoes. 
    My late father died 6 years ago, but he was good at cooking pinto beans.  He was very particular and only wanted beans grown in Colorado.  Wish I could have some of those beans now.

1. profile image0
      mdawson17posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well I can tell you I from Texas and their is nothing like a batch of Bear battered Chili! This Thread got me too thinking about it so I will go and begin the chili beans to soak!

manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Uh Neighbor...if you need an extra working hand around the place...just holler 'cause i will work for food! Especially...anything that has Beer Battered and Chili...in the same name!

2. manlypoetryman profile image81

That salsa sounds great! I imagine that fresh mountain air is wonderful for the beans...HHHMMM...mental note: Get Beans from Colorado!

3. Ellen_C profile image67
    Ellen_Cposted 14 years ago

Who is going try the fried butter at the fair this year? Not me..

they fry anything at the county fair don't they...but isn't fried butter like an oxymoron...or something?

1. Flightkeeper profile image68
        Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Fried butter is made the same way as fried ice cream? It sounds like a sure way to the IC unit.

No kiddin'...I could feel my heart thumpin' more just while commenting on that one!

2. KCC Big Country profile image86
        KCC Big Countryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lifelong Texan here too....I wrote a hub about the fried foods at the State Fair if anyone's interested....called, funny enough, "We'll Fry Anything"

Will have to try that Hub out...I'm getting hungry for funnel cakes...for some odd reason?

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

fried butter?????

omgsh

at our state fair they have fried snickers bars, fried twinkies, fried hot dogs, fried pickles...but i have never seen fried butter.

yikes. does that come with a crash cart? wink

there's this little out-of-the-way hole in the wall in downtown Phoenix that serves the BEST Mexican food i have ever had! the frijoles are creamy and have a rich pinto flavor, and the green chile burrito is made from the most tender toothsome beef in a delectable green chile sauce with just the right amount of heat, and the rice is fluffy and flavorful. oOo, now i want some...

That place in Pheonix sounds great...Care to post it's name?

Fried Snickers...HHHMMM? Like the sound of that...especially compared to fried butter (UUUGH!)

1. profile image0
          A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have tried fried pickles, the fried part slid off leaving a very hot pickle, never again!

1. KCC Big Country profile image86
            KCC Big Countryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL...from Sonic?  That's like saying you'll never eat an onion ring again because the batter came off the onion! That's half the fun!

Nothing tops the basics in fried foods: Fried Shrimp/Fried Catfish/Chicken fried Steak/Onion Rings/Chicken Strips/Fried Oysters...you know the good ol' fried stuff!

(I ain't even going to mention Cat Fryes...that's for the brave!)

Although fried bullfrog legs and/or rattlesnake...is mighty good eating...if you can stop thinking about what your eating!

2. profile image0

Cattleman SteakHouse, it was an expensive fried pickle!

4. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

New England weighing in here folks. Gimme lobster or clams any day over Tex-Mex. (Although I do love Tex-Mex...)

Hey...I get the whole Lobster and Clam Chowder thing...You guys know how to eat up there!

1. RedSonja94 profile image61
        RedSonja94posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm a Michigander so we go with just about anything.  I love Tex-Mex food though.  My cousin just moved to Texas and says she's tired of all the BBQ though.  I don't see how anyone can get tired of it myself.

Tired of Bar BQ...Do my ears (or eyes) deceive me? How does one get tired of the setting Sun...or the feel of grass beneath your bare feet? This can't be!

1. RedSonja94 profile image61
            RedSonja94posted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's what I was saying.  I could never get tired are BBQ.  I can't get enough of it with the snow on the ground for six months of the year.  I only get a really good 4 months for BBQ.

5. gracenotes profile image90
    gracenotesposted 14 years ago

ManlyPoetryman,

Yeah, about the beans (and my post didn't actually sound regional, did it?), apparently pinto beans do better when they are grown at high altitudes.  My family used to have them shipped from Colorado and the UPS charges were higher than the cost of the beans!  smile

Well...it does have that Southwest ring to it with New Mexico and Colorado added to it. But hey...I like Texas Food...but I'm not picky neither...Southwest, Chinese, New York, Italian...if folks can cook...let 'em do their thing...I have International Taste buds...that are non-discriminating...by all means. How about you? (besides with you mentioning Salsa...and mdawson talking about beer-battered Chili...I think we are all helping to prove great Texas choices...!)

Like the part about how the beans were less than the postage to get 'em...that's ironic and sad at the same time. i know ya'll miss those beans from the high altitude!

6. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

Tex-Mex is okay, but it is way too mild for my taste.  When we went to a Mexican restaurant with our relatives in Kansas everyone was acting like their mouths were on fire, but I thought the tacos and enchiladas were really mild.  The owner of the restaurant told us the seasonings were a little bit more like Tex-Mex.  We definitely have some really spicy dishes out here in California.

1. profile image0

Uhhh, I don't think you're getting Tex-Mex in Kansas!

1. SweetiePie profile image83
        SweetiePieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is what the restaurant owner compared it too.  Take it up with him because all this time I thought Mexican food in Kansas was more Tex-Mex.  It is on the mild side, that is all I can say!

1. profile image0

OK, I have eaten Supposed Tex-Mex in NYC, not Tex-Mex!

Kansas Mexican food was different.  For salsa they had a little bit of tomato sauce with a few onions and barely any chillis added for flavor.  Their "suicide" platter was considered hot because it had three tiny jalapeno peppers on it.  The flavors were nice, but just not as spicy as the dishes I had out here.  Well now I know their food is not Tex-Mex.  I have a feeling it is more bland because the locals would not eat it over wise.  Just with how many Chinese dishes are Americanized too.

Sweetie-Pie...I've had some of that California Tex- Mex...It's Ok...ya'll do a good job of gettin' it right. But, Kansas? I'd have to go with A Texan on that...maybe it was Kans-Mex...or something...but I'd be shocked and fall right off my tractor...if they got Tex-Mex right in Kansas!

1. profile image0

I had Fish Tacos in San Diego can't even begin to tell you whats wrong with that!

Mexicans eat fish tacos in Baja California.  There are fish taco stands every where.  Some fish tacos are good out here, but not the kind with the fish sticks in it, which is what they do most of the time.

7. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

The only problem with Tex-Mex is its the only kind of Restaurant being opened where I am. If you throw a rock you will hit one, BBQ is a good thing, but I love that Cajun food!

Oh yeah...the shrimp creole...the boudin (sp?)...the crawfish pie...the gumbo...thank god...I had shrimp for dinner...or I'd of made myself hungry!

1. profile image0

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Hey...you win...my only cajun-french sentence came from an ol' David Allen Coe song...which isn't even coming up in the memory banks at the moment. I tend to go with their slogan: "Louisiana...it's like a whole other country!" When trying to understand any of their language or accents!

Just guessin'...but did you say something about shrimp(s)?

2. profile image0

"Let the good times roll"

8. Colebabie profile image61
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

So I live in South Florida, and I love love love our local food. It is very unique, diverse, and amazing! We always have fresh seafood: stone crab, lobster, conch, dolphin (mahi mahi), amazing crab cakes etc. Of course key lime pie with a graham cracker crust. Lots of really yummy cuban food. Citrus is used a lot in recipes. We have orange blossom honey smile Lots of coconut. And a type of orange called "honeybells" when those are in season everyone stocks up! Pina coladas, daiquiris...  Everything is really fresh and yummy!

Ok...I'm taking notes...'cause the last time I was in Florida we ate almost every dinner at this place near the Intercoastal canal in Ft. Lauderdale...and loaded up on the seafood, key lime pie, and pina' colodas...Florida does have great food...but those "honeybells"...never got to have any of those.
      Cuban food...is great, also! Tried that...liked to go back to that restaraunt again...real soon! (It was also pretty relaxin' there next to the water!)

1. Colebabie profile image61
        Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've probably eaten where you ate smile There are hundreds on those restaurants, right on the water. You find your favorite, go there with your friends, have amazing food and drinks and watch the boats go by. Most places have docks and people drive their boats up smile
        There are just so many cultures. You name the type and I bet there is a great restaurant here.

Oh wow...sounds like the couple of evenings we spent...the whole evening...at that restaraunt! Your right though...the right place and the right culture...and good food...well, that's just good living!

However...I got'ta chime in that for myself fish tacos are only moderately OK...maybe it's cause fajita tacos outrank 'em anyday! Sorry...I like to try new foods and tastes...but some are more appealin'...then others!

1. profile image0

Oh yeah, Chicken fajitas WOOOOOOHOOOOO!

9. Colebabie profile image61

I had fish tacos in st. thomas and they were amazing! smile

1. profile image0

Its becoming popular here but I just can't understand it myself. Too much Tex-Mex in my system I suppose

Why can't you understand it? They're yummy.

I love fish tacos smile.  One of my favorites!

2. profile image0

What I had was not amazing, well amazingly bad maybe.

10. RedSonja94 profile image61
    RedSonja94posted 14 years ago

Fish Tacos...doesn't even sound appetizing.  Really.  I can't see that one.

1. profile image0

I didn;t think it sounded good either, but I let my brother talk me into it, that wont happen again!

Then you had bad ones. It should be lightly fried fresh Mahi, with a crunchy slaw and a light sauce. Add a little lemon or lime juice...Mmmm.

1. profile image0

No clue what the fish was, sauce was called, I don't remember

Try them again. Go to W!kked in St. Thomas smile http://www.wikkedrestaurant.com/

1. profile image0

My Ol lady wants to go on a cruise so maybe I'll give it a shot.

11. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Love, love , love West Texas Style Brisket, right handed only of course. Make that right legged. hehe

12. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

GOTTA HAVE THAT TEX-MEX!!!!!!!!!!!

There you go...now that's a fan!

13. Colebabie profile image61

Fajitas (which actually means skirt steak) are totally different than tacos though. At least they are down here smile

1. profile image0

If its rolled up in a tortilla its a taco! Even fish...sadly

Fajitas and tacos have different seasonings, herbs, cuts of meat, vegetables, flavors, and condiments.

1. profile image0

I think you are discovering Tex-Mex, its a whole other Mexican food! I eat steak fajitas too sweetiepie! The sauce is usually just ground up fresh jalapenos and vinegar,stewed tomatoes more jalapenos some other stuff, its all a mystery!

Fajitas are skirt steak here too...however, the strips of fajitas are wrapped up in a "soft" taco for a fajita steak taco...and is "powerful good"...to quote some East Texans!

14. Colebabie profile image61

Another thing you can do manly, depends on how adventurous you are when you come back...
    You can take out a fishing charter, and you bring what you caught to a restaurant at the marina and they cook it up for you according to what you like, but also whatever flavors they have on the menu smile That is always fun! I know of a few places that do that.

1. profile image0

That sounds cool

A "You Buy-We Fry" type of place sounds like fun with your own fresh catch! I like the fishing charter boat part idea...alot! Colebabie...I think you may have just helped me decide where I would like to go on my next vacation. Wait till I tell the little lady...(Don't know how she'll take the day out on the  fishing charter thing...wish me luck!)...I'll through in a day of shoppin' near Miami...that'll help clench it!

15. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

Chicken fajitas for those of us who do not eat beef smile.  These are very yummy!

16. KCC Big Country profile image86
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

I made the mistake of ordering a chicken quesadilla in Tennessee.   I kid you not, they put chicken nuggets between two tortillas and served it up.  We laughed for days about that.

UUGH...!

17. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

Coolness in the air down here...Gives me a hankering for good ol' Texas Chili!

Time to stock up on shredded cheddar cheese, crackers, and plenty of bottles of tabasco...for all the Chili I'm going to partake of!

18. KCC Big Country profile image86

Cornbread with lots of butter....that's what I like with a big ol' pot of homemade chili with a little cheese sprinkled on top.

Oh yeah...I forgot about the cornbread...crumbled up over the top of the chili!

1. profile image0

Hey poetryman good news I am not you anymore I am 2 other people! Weird!

http://www.artistdirect.com/Images/Sources/AMGCOVERS/movies/dvd/cover150/drt500/t573/t57330d6i1l.jpg

Your growing so many "alleged" identities that...Pretty soon you can have the whole Forum and Hub Pages to yourself...you could have your own cyber-world set up-to talk to as many of your alter-ego's as possible! Wow...!

1. profile image0

I think its jealousy because they ain't Texan!

I think your right...! http://1010prepaid.com/images/phone-card-images/i_love_texas.gif

19. profile image0

Hi KCC. Been reading some of the later posts.You haven't stopped talking since ya got here. You must have been vaccinated with a phonograph needle! smile Eat well now.

20. KCC Big Country profile image86

Howdy to you too, Ralwus.  smile

1. profile image0
      ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Looong time no see cutie.

21. KCC Big Country profile image86

Indeed! How you doing?  I just clicked on your profile to make sure it was you.

22. profile image0

LOL, I think I'm still me. I was earlier I know, did I leave? Was it me? LOL

23. profile image0
    zampanoposted 14 years ago

Hey Texan :
    You sure know how to talk to people.
    I read yous meal's description once and opend a bottle of wine immediately.
    Then, I read it all over again.
    I'll be dining in about one hour or so, but I'm mouth watering like a starving coyotte...tongue

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)