jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Food Coloring

1. teendad profile image58
    teendadposted 7 years ago

Does anyone have a brand of food coloring to recommend? The last kind I bought for my icing was terrible.

2. Pearldiver profile image87
    Pearldiverposted 7 years ago

Why Not make your own?

Orange: Simple..... Grate the zest of one whole orange, icing sugar and use the pure juice to bind it. How hard is that? hmm

Of course it's a waste of time using this on a brought cake! smile

3. brad4l profile image84
    brad4lposted 7 years ago

Pearldiver brings up a good point, there are a lot of really easy natural food coloring recipes, which can be fun to make.

I know when you are making soap, however, that you have to take into account how the natural food coloring will affect the smell of the soap, which I am sure also applies to cooking. So, as an example, the recipe above might end up adding a citrus flavor to your cake...

4. teendad profile image58

Thanks for the replies. I will try and make my own food coloring for the fun of it, but I don't want to affect the flavor of my icing. And, yes, these are on cakes I am making myself, not bought!

5. bearnmom profile image51
    bearnmomposted 7 years ago

The best food coloring I have used is not the drippy kind you buy in the store or you make yourself.  I get all my food colorings from Wilton.  They are pastes and don't flavor your icing.  When I was learning cake decorating, I bought a starter kit and it lasted me for a long long time.  I even bought their black when I was doing a black cat cake one Halloween.  You use a lot of color to get a dark red or a black but it's worth it when you are doing cakes for children.  You can find Wilton online and their prices are not extravagant at $1.99 each.

6. 0
    bloodnlatexposted 7 years ago

I use the Wilton red gel food coloring to make fake blood, and it works gloriously.

7. lrohner profile image85
    lrohnerposted 7 years ago

Ditto. I use Wilton gels exclusively. They're great.

8. teendad profile image58

Thank you for the replies. I will try the Wilton gels for the icing, although I don't know if I'll have much need for making fake blood.