jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

I'm Diabetic; guess what I got for Valentine's Day!

1. Betty Jo Petty profile image61
    Betty Jo Pettyposted 8 years ago

I wrote and article on Hub Pages titled Please Don't Buy Me Candy for Valentine's Day.

I didn't think to tell anyone on the home front about it.  I didn't think I had to.

Because I'm Diabetic.   So, I ended up with a really large Red Valentine's Box of Candy, my daughter received a smaller one full of Turtles Chocolates, and two grandsons also received candy.

Do you think I could refuse???  bjp

1. RFox profile image83
      RFoxposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I feel your pain. I'm allergic to soy which happens to be in all chocolate in some form or another. If someone gives me chocolate I usually tell them I'm allergic but that I know a chocoholic who will be so happy to take them off my hands. Then I thank them for the thinking of me and either give the chocolates to a friend or a homeless person in my neighborhood.

I feel it's best to be honest about the fact you can't eat them but in a way that doesn't hurt the gift givers feelings.

Just my personal thoughts. Good luck big_smile

2. Mark Knowles profile image60
    Mark Knowlesposted 8 years ago

I like candy big_smile

3. DeeS profile image60
    DeeSposted 8 years ago

Are you sure it's not sugar free candy? smile

4. Betty Jo Petty profile image61
    Betty Jo Pettyposted 8 years ago

That would be a better idea.  No, it was the real thing.  Our first real argument was because he didn't buy me a big or little box of Valentine candy.

So, I'm guessing he didn't want to face that.  I should have mentioned it, Really.

I love candy, and most sugar, but it's like poison to me.  (What isn't?) .  I also love Bacon, but...

SOY!  I also am allergic to it.  I can taste small amounts of it, anything larger and I get nauseated. 

Anyone else out there not a soy lover???