jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Putting ice on the turkey breast before grilling the bird?

1. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 6 years ago

Has anyone tried putting ice on the breast of the turkey before cooking the bird so that it will cook slower than the thigh meat (Thigh takes longer to cook), so that the entire bird is finished cooking at the same time.

I just heard that this was recommended technique so that you don't dry the breast out while waiting for the thigh to finish cooking.

1. livewithrichard profile image85
      livewithrichardposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Never tried that but I do butter the breast and then cover the breast only with foil and it turns out great.

2. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 6 years ago

I've never heard of this! My turkey is always juicy. Are you smoking or baking the bird? I've written several hubs about cooking turkeys!

3. Jeffrey Neal profile image88
    Jeffrey Nealposted 6 years ago

I've heard of using foil, but not ice.

4. Frugal Fanny profile image60
    Frugal Fannyposted 6 years ago

I haven't tried that, but I have beer-canned the turkey and the chicken, with great results.  You leave a little beer left in the can (strong beers give the meat more flavour), then stick the can in the cavity with the open part inside.  The heat causes the beer to evaporate, and the steam cooks the bird from the inside.  It's usually pretty moist, too.

5. MikeNV profile image76
    MikeNVposted 6 years ago

Foil is what is used and basting more frequently.  Ice would melt very fast and have little effect as the turkey has to cook for a very long time.

How would you attach the ice?

6. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 6 years ago

You just chill the breast before it goes in the oven.  By bringing the temperature down, it will finish cooking at the same time as the thigh.  Otherwise, you end up drying out the breast as you cook your bird long enough to finish the thigh.  Make sense?

7. Bradley Chapple profile image59
    Bradley Chappleposted 6 years ago

I've never heard of icing down a turkey (or just parts of it), but hey... Maybe you can try it and be the "inventor" of a great new technique.

A good, long brine bath is the secret to some of my juiciest turkeys.  I also agree with the foil method.  Very effective.